Question about installing a skimmer on an Intex pool

MrMojoRisin

Aug 31, 2021
Philadelphia
Hello everyone, so the current situation I found myself in is I have one of those pop up Summer breeze pools, I've had it for two or three seasons now. I have the Intex filter hooked up to it and this season I have a leak that for the life of me I cannot find, I've tried every method that I've searched online to try and figure out where the leak is and have had no luck. I have a family member who is not going to put their Intex Pool back up and they said I could have it. The issue is it's one of those pools where it just has two hoses going in with one of those underpowered filters. Now I have seen people installing the skimmer on the side, it's usually always the Hayward. The Summer breeze pool I have has a skimmer and I was wondering if I could take that one off cut the hole in the side of the Intex just like you would for the Hayward and install it without having any issues with leaking. I'm asking this because I know the Hayward screws in so I would assume that that's a little bit more secure than the one I have on the Summer breeze pool that has the gasket on each side and then has a big plastic piece that goes on the inside and screws on with your hand so it's only hand tight. That's what I'm thinking I might run into an issue and I'm not sure if I cut the hole and do this if I'm setting myself up for failure with the other pool because then I'm not positively sure if the Hayward opening would be smaller than this circular opening and then I wouldn't be able to mount the Hayward if I run into leaking issues.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

I went with the Hayward skimmer and upgraded pump and filter.. best thing I did 8 years ago... It is much easier in the long run... Both the Intex and the summer waves are not very good pumps and filters, the Intex sand and upgraded pump is actually kind of good but costs more than a real pump and filter now..

Thank you for the welcome.

I do have a sand filter hooked up to the Summer breeze pool I used to deal with those crappy cartridges and decided I was done with that a while ago this is probably my second pop-up pool, not really sure the proper name for them I'm just calling it that.

All I was trying to do is figure out if I can save myself some money on the skimmer instead of buying the Hayward skimmer by reusing the one that was meant for the Summer breeze pool but the opening is circular instead of square and as I mentioned you screw it on there with the big ring that goes on the inside of the pool that you can only hand tighten as opposed to the Hayward that you mount by screwing it on there. The way I'm looking at it is The season's almost done up here in the Northeast, but I'm sure I can probably get at least one more month out of it. Right now I have the pool completely drain just a little bit left in there that I have to suck out with the shop vac that's starting to turn into greenish water so I got to make a move fast and I know we're about to get hit with storms for the next two days thanks to the hurricane.

I think you will run into the same thing your dealing with now.. The summer waves will start to leak and then your stuck with it... The haward on my pool has not leaked in 8 years :)

That's what I was thinking as well and I don't want to be screwed with that if it's going to leak on me having to fill it up everyday.

Just to clarify though, I'm not sure if you think that the leak is coming from the skimmer because it's not, it's coming from somewhere underneath the pool. I've drained and lifted the pool I've gone inside tried to hit it with the hose even while I had it lifted up to see if I couldn't see where it's coming from with someone else's help. It seems like it's only leaking when there's a decent amount of pressure in the pool from the water. I did find another leak initially when I set the pull up and that was patched and then maybe about a week later this started coming to the front and leaking all over the ground. My yard has a hill and this is dug out into the hill and it's lifted the height of a cinder block because I have cinder blocks framing it out so it was puddling up to the cinder blocks and then going through the cinder blocks and onto the concrete.

Ahh, I thought it was the skimmer leaking.. :)
Now the skimmer is definitely good no leak from there whatsoever ever sees my habit up have had no problems with it. I just know that that material around it is kind of doubled up even where the bottom part rests there's a double up piece of vinyl on there or whatever these pools are made of I think it's vinyl. So that's where I'm thinking will this be an issue if I put this bigger skimmer compared to the Hayward on there will it start pulling too much weight and causing an issue with leaking. I've attached a couple of pictures to show you what I'm talking aboutIMG_20210831_130659.jpgIMG_20210831_130610.jpgIMG_20210831_130659.jpgIMG_20210831_130659.jpg

I wouldn't mess with that skimmer and put a brand new one on from Hayward. You'll like it a lot better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.