Question about High CYA levels

Lost-Sole

May 29, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Hi All,

I am new here, but have been reading tips from you on and off for a few years. I am trying to go to the full liquid chlorine method and get away from these awful tabs. However, I have made the mistake in past years of using the tri-chlor tablets. I live in NC and kept my pool running all this past year, I would throw a few tablets in the feeder every week through the winter to keep the water from turning green. I thought I would get the pool open early this year and have been messing around with it for a month and not achieving good results. I took my water sample to Leslie's for testing and they have told me my CYA levels, and Phosphate levels are extremely high. The numbers are:

CYA: 190
Phosphates: 3936!

The water looks pretty good, I do notice that yellowish algae will pop up nearly daily if I don't brush it often. Leslie's told me this is due to the Phosphates in the water. I bought a phosphate reducer (NoPhos) but didn't see the point of adding it to the water if I was going to be draining most of my water to get my CYA levels down.

My main question to you is draining the pool really the only realistic way to get my CYA levels down? I have read about the Bio Active stuff but that sounds like an ineffective or risky product to use. The CYA level of 190 was tested this morning. I was at Leslie's a week ago, the CYA level was the same. Since then, I have drained 6 inches and refilled many times over. I have a vinyl lined pool and don't want to take too much water out at one time for fear of damaging the liner.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you.

The only thing the CYA reducer does is give the company selling it money. Drain/refill is the only real option. But, you are going ot have to take it down more than 6 inches.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

As you know, it didn't get this way overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

I have been there, the money you spend on water to drain and refill is less then you can spend on chemicals. In the early Spring I drained 3/4 of mine.
But yea get a good test kit first, several times were Leslie's have been way off

Thank you both for the quick response. I will read all of the suggested links and I am going to order the test kit now. I have about 12 gallons of the wal-mart liquid chlorine, I will add one per day as suggested. Again, thank you both for your time, I am determined to get this resolved as quickly as I can.

Thank you both for the quick response. I will read all of the suggested links and I am going to order the test kit now. I have about 12 gallons of the wal-mart liquid chlorine, I will add one per day as suggested. Again, thank you both for your time, I am determined to get this resolved as quickly as I can.
If those bottles are teh pool chlorinating liquid, not bleach then about a half a bottle a day. The chlorinating liquid is a full gallon and is a higher percentage than the bleach.

Also order the speed stir from them when you order the kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.