Question about backwashing a sand filter.

VinnyinNJ

Jul 20, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Last pool had a DE filter and there was no power backwashing. I just turned the pump off, bumped the grids, opened the bottom drain and opened the air valve. When the water and DE came out somewhat clean I closed the drain, waited until water came out of the air valve and repeated; this usually took about 4 times and it was done with gravity water pressure. It looks like I'll be getting a sand filter with the new pool and I watched a video today and backwashing is all done with the pump (as I'm sure all of you know! :laughblue:) and there is a rinse cycle after it. The video also mentioned vacuuming to waste as well - How much water do you need to replace after backwashing and vacuuming?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I am not a huge fan on vacuuming to waste. Circumstances differ, but you can lose a ton of water with a big pump by doing that.

backwashing often takes a few minutes and if your pump produces, say 70 gpm, you can do the math and figure out that alone dumps quite a bit of water.

So backwash and rinse can easily take 200 gallons if your sand is really dirty. I would suggest you forego the "vacuum to waste" and catch the debris with your filter............that's what it's for

VinnyinNJ

Jul 20, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I am not a huge fan on vacuuming to waste. Circumstances differ, but you can lose a ton of water with a big pump by doing that.

backwashing often takes a few minutes and if your pump produces, say 70 gpm, you can do the math and figure out that alone dumps quite a bit of water.

So backwash and rinse can easily take 200 gallons if your sand is really dirty. I would suggest you forego the "vacuum to waste" and catch the debris with your filter............that's what it's for
Thanks!

I wasn't thinking of backwashing the filter until I saw the video. I was usually getting a long life with the DE filter and it didn't seem to use a lot of water. Good advice on not vacuuming to waste, I didn't have that with the other filter and had no issues I just thought it was a sand filter "thing".

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread