Question About A Diverter Valve


Aug 21, 2008
I have a big oval Doughboy above ground pool. The deck is built around it, and most of the plumbing is under the deck. My pool has two returns, one on the bottom on the deep end, and one on the side. Pretty standard.

There is a Hayward Dial-A-F....(something, the sticker is torn there) valve where I can choose to from 4 different settings: A - (sucks in water from the top return only,} B: (bottom only) A+B (both) and "Off"

It has a leak. Looking at this illustration, (which I found via Google images. I know nothing about that site) the crack is in #4, the cover.

But I can't find a model number on my valve. Would this be a 3-way, even though there are actually 4 positions?


TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
The middle port is common. Call this #3 port

Assume #1 is the left port
Assume #2 is the right.

The 4 positions are really 3: 1 only, 1 & 2, 2 only, 2 &1

1 & 2 and 2 & 1 are the same thing.

Most techs HATE these valves. I replace them when I can with Jandy Never-Lubes or similar 3-Way valves.



Aug 21, 2008
Thanks so much. Good to know that I might be better off replacing it next time, too.

If I do that, I'll also move it to a place where I don't have to crawl under the deck to reach the dratted thing.

I was hoping to avoid buying a whole new valve. The replacement cover is only $20 shipped, so I'm starting there.

Now I have to figure out how to take it apart without accidently draining the pool. :)