Quartzscapes resurface questions

Vlines

Sep 8, 2019
Maryland
We just had our pool resurfaced a few weeks ago. We had general issues with the install, including the initial trowel work was terrible and 20 other things. Entire surface was equivalent to 60 grit sandpaper. PB fixed most of that, with a lot of sanding (at our insistance), and an acid wash, as well as an acid start up.

Less than a week after our pool was filled, we started seeing these white lines. They have continued to get worse since then. The first 2 pics are a broader view of 2 different locations (these are in 1/2 the pool), the 3rd pic is a closer view of one of the lines - it was one of the first to appear, and seems to be spreading, for lack of a better way to describe it. I see the other ones doing the same.

PB was out, and has a number of things to fix. He claims this is normal crazing for any pool, and can be fixed with a stain, or color they can apply to it underwater.

Other info: water was trucked in. The pool did sit with the plaster on, no water for a few days while they tried to fix the surface texture (I was assured this would not be an issue).

I am concerned it indicates a different problem than normal crazing. I have read the info on calcium nodules, I am not sure those appear this quickly based on that, though. I am also dubious about a stain applied to the area to make the white lines go away.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Pool chemistry has been monitored closely and within parameters since stabilization.

20190908_074059.jpg20190908_074047.jpg20190908_074218.jpg

Vlines, welcome to TFP.
Yes, the plaster coat is suffering from severe shrinkage craze cracking. It is also possible that delamination is occurring too, where the new plaster coat has not bonded to the underlying surface in the places where the cracks are, and of course, where the nodules are forming.
I am at loss to understand the claim to be able to "apply a stain or color" over the cracks.

Do not be fooled that this is normal or acceptable by any measure. IMO, this pool will need a complete re-plaster.

I don't see this as a defect of the product, but perhaps NPT will pressure the plaster company to redo it.
The builder knows better that this isn't normal. Be firm, confident, and very serious that cracks (with calcium nodules forming on them) are NOT normal and is obviously defective plaster workmanship. He should soon give up the foolery.

Thanks. I was reading another post of yours about the calcium chloride content in the plaster.

How can I have that tested? I happen to have a great sample of the plaster on the pool, because they plastered over one of the in floor pop-ups (inadvertently) which popped off in large pieces 2 weeks after completion. I would like to know if the mix is correct. Based on your articles, the troweling may completely be the cause, over worked, and adding water to the troweling process.

Contact RJ Lee Group in Pennsylvania and send them the sample for a chloride analysis. Should cost about $100. Ask them to convert the chloride content to the percentage amount of calcium chloride dihydrate (77%).
Yes, you understand correctly. It could be from applying too much water while troweling, or by adding too much water to the mix, and also, too much calcium chloride added to the mix. And of course, a combination of those three issues.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.