Quarantine Christmas Pool Build - ATX - Intellicenter - System Reset?

Hello fellow austinite :) we just had shotcrete done yesterday which was exciting.

Your forms are up so it is likely too late now, but the only impervious cover for the pool is the coping. The most efficient shape is a rectangle (minimum perimeter).

When we had this issue in our old house we tore out all the deck/patio etc. You can even tear out walkways in the front yard. We got the pool built then after the inspectors were done we put in 4x4 leuders pavers which arent considered impervious cover. Replacing walkway with pavers can be expensive but can give you a lot of extra impervious cover.

Reactions: NWS
Thanks for the tips on impervious cover, @march2012 . We considered a rectangle but decided the curved shape was worth the trade-off in square footage for us. I think we had about 120 sq ft to play with so very tight. We'll definitely consider the leuders pavers to finish out our deck/patio (and possibly replacing the front walkway.) Good to know we have a few options to help regain some footage.

Happy New Year, TFPers! Plumbing finished and inspector came out last week. I believe we are scheduled for gunite this week. A question for the group -- during the design, we had discussed either doing an LED bubbler or a traditional light on the tanning shelf. Final decision was to do the traditional light and a regular bubbler. I just noticed that it looks like they've installed the housing for the LED bubbler (as well as an additional light on the shelf). Does a regular bubbler use the same housing? I don't see the separate required LED module but perhaps that hasn't been delivered yet. I don't necessarily mind having the LED bubbler unless it's a larger diameter than a traditional bubbler. If we don't use the bubbler a lot, I want to make sure that the housing itself is not too distracting on the shelf. Can anyone help me out on what a traditional bubbler housing looks like on the shelf vs. the LED bubbler? Thx!

IMG_6323.jpegIMG_6324.jpeg

That's an led bubbler. Regular bubbler is a return fitting
Thanks, @jimmythegreek . So, in your opinion, are there any drawbacks to leaving it as an LED bubbler? I've been reading a bit and seeing that there are some longevity issues with the LED bubblers. Would we be able to convert it to a regular bubbler down the road, if needed, or can it only be replaced with the same size?

We also are including a few spa jets on our benches. The plan is for a venturi air intake valve in the coping (pictured below)...very close to the bench. I've never seen one of these in person, and I'm concerned about noise level of these intake valves. Anyone have any experience and can tell me what to expect? Is it possible to move the valves farther away (and still produce the same effect)?
IMG_6315.jpg

Last edited:
Theres no replacing bubblers without major surgery. If it does fail you either repair it or leave it as an unlighted bubbler. I've had good luck with the cmp

The venturi needs to be close to the fitting to allow air to enter and mix with the water for the spa effect. You could go as far as a blower setup and piping to support it and eliminate them. I'm not a huge fan of them, once you have a standalone spa nothing even comes close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not a huge fan of them, once you have a standalone spa nothing even comes close.
That's what I'm afraid of. They've already been plumbed on both benches, but I'm actually considering removing them from the main bench (below our sheer descent) before gunite. I'm concerned about looks/maintenance/noise for little payoff.

Ok, I need to crowdsource opinions...we have never had a pool before so I'm not sure what to expect on a lot of things. I've mentioned my dilemma with the bench jets above...to recap, we're not doing a spa. I planned on doing 3 Venturi jets on the deep end bench to give a little bit of massaging action. (I understand that the feel will not be the same as a hot tub.) During the design, the PB told me it would not cost any more to also add 3 jets to the main bench on the sheer descent wall so we thought we might as well do that, too. I then found out that we would not be able to run the sheer descent at the same time as the spa jets. That was disappointing, but I understood since we only have 1 VS pump. When the construction plans were dropped off for the crews, I then saw that they were planning to recess the air intake valve in the coping (on top of the 24" raised wall). I had concerns about this in terms of the visual look on our main feature wall with the sheer descent. It was my understanding that we were going to discuss placement of the air intake (and possibly run it along the fence line to reduce noise). It's important to note that we see the main sheer descent wall from inside our home as well so I want to make sure the jets/valve don't take away from the overall look. All jets have already been plumbed.

So we're getting ready for shotcrete in the next week or so and I need to make a final decision. I'm thinking about removing jets from the main sheer descent wall (but leaving the ones on the deep end bench.) Since the jets are already plumbed, should I just leave everything as-is and see how well the feature works? Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised. Or worst-case scenario, the jets don't work as expected and/or the air intake valve is noisy and not relaxing. If that's the case, and we never use the jets, would we regret seeing the jets/valve on the feature wall and/or would there still be potential maintenance/upkeep issues down the road? Or perhaps since the jets are underwater, you really don't notice them (jets are gray 2.5" Poly Storm and we'll have PS Blue Surf)

I plan to discuss our options with the PB tomorrow, but I'd love to know what you experienced TFPers would do:

1) leave as-is and hope for the best (we've already come this far!)
2) remove jets from feature wall before shotcrete? (no need to worry about additional maintenance down the road)

And if anyone has a similar spa bench setup with venturi air intake, I'd love to hear your experience! I may be overthinking this, but I know that once we have shotcrete, there's no going back ;) Thx, all!

Last edited:
If anyone has recommendations for evergreen privacy trees that do well in Central TX and won't add debris to the pool, I'd love to hear ideas...

Looking good. We used Eagleston Hollys to create an evergreen privacy screen above what our fence currently provides. Ours are tree form, but you can also get them without the lower limbs removed if you need.

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.