PVC Repair

Oct 23, 2016
Roseville, CA
I have an above ground pool that was installed about 20 years ago. The 1.5"/2.0" PVC at the equipment is starting to show its age and over the weekend, I developed a small leak at a pump connection.

I have a lot of experience fixing and installing PVC fixtures for landscape irrigation, but I have not worked on pool piping.

Is there anything that I need to consider (e.g. different than sprinkler piping) as I work on fixing this leak? I noticed that there was quite a bit of pipe dope on the existing connections. Is that common with pool piping?

Not really too much difference. Specific repair depends on the location of the leak though. When it comes to joining Sch 40, same principle - prime and glue. For end fittings like union and adapters, it varies between no product with just a gasket, or an o-ring with silicone lube, or threads with Teflon tape or plumber's dope. Feel free to post pics if you need to for more help.

Here is the area where we have a leak. The connector at the housing mount (where there's pipe dope) is where the leak is. I was going to cut before the 2nd 45 degree elbow (not pictured) and replace everything down to the mount. I'm hoping that that is a threaded connector.

IMG_0249.JPG

Yes, you should be able to remove the old adapter and PVC, then replace with a new threaded outlet adapter fitting to connect to a new run of PVC pipe. Pipe dope is not always needed if the new adapter o-ring or gasket is clean and installed correctly.

I have been searching for the adapter online and it looks like the adapter for this model (Max Flow, SP2800X5) is part of the housing and is not a separate part. Is that correct, or is the parts drawing just not showing it as a separate part?

When you look at the Parts Diagram, you'll see the pump water outlet has internal threads. You need the male adapter to screw in that hole. It may be something like THIS. The PVC (and/or union fitting) will connect to the other end. If your not sure, give the folks at InyoPools a quick call to confirm the right size/part number. They are very familiar with your set-up as well. :)

InyoPools Diagram

I replaced the leaking portion (at the adapter), but unfortunately, there is a very small leak at the joint (about 1 drop per 5 seconds). I am trying to avoid cutting it out and reinstalling it and I wanted to get some input on the effectiveness of a JB WaterWeld or a Leak-B-Gone type of solution.

Is it worth giving one of these a try, or should I just bite the bullet and redo the PVC installation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.