PVC repair help needed

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
I have a leak in my return line (yellow arrow). Yes, it's the 2nd time and the 1st time I used a rubber sleeve to fix it as you can see in the pictures. I'd like to fix it correctly, but where do I start...literally? Where would I make my cuts? As you can see I have a weird 45 degree jog in between the booster motor and filter. That weird jog will have to stay I imagine so that I can have clearance.

Attachments

• 20190812_195541.jpg
    20190812_195541.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190812_195533.jpg
    20190812_195533.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 65
Yeah you need to cut that piece back to the front of the pad to where that 90 is. Simple fix I agree. You will also need some couplers.

pvc4.jpg
pvc3.jpg

Last edited:
Picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks PoolGate and Pool_Medic and jblizzle. How are those 45's together? A 2" piece of PVC glued into each side?

I've read some stuff about certain PVC I should be using...stuff not available at Home Depot. True?

Also on the primer & glue. Do I need to use "pool" or high pressure PVC glue?

Correct - A short piece of PVC connects the 2 45s. Regular PVC primer and glue will work. Make sure you do NOT use DWV (drain, waste, vent) PVC which is thinner and not pressure rated. Home Depot should sell everything you need.

I would start with the cut where it is leaking, then disconnect it from the filter to do the other cut. I use a sawsall on PVC this large. They really do not sell a PVC cutter that works for larger PVC unless you pay a LOT of money for it. The $20 ones don't work at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...last question (maybe!). How long to allow the PVC cement to cure before turning on the pumps again?

two hours

After joining the pipes you must hold them together for 30 seconds until the plastic hardens or they can slip apart. It takes another 15 minutes for the joint to harden to a point at which it can withstand water pressure and two hours to fully cure.

If you ever need an emergency fix buy a coupling then cut down the middle. Then using PVC cement glue it on top of the hole and use a hose clamp until it dries.
BUT your doing the correct things fixing it the right way.

Thanks for all the advice! I finally did the repair. Wound up waiting over night to turn everything back on since we were expecting rain...which never came (Pleaassseeee we need rain!!). Anyway, all is good! No leak (at least where I repaired - new post coming soon) which also means no air in the system.

Thanks for all the advice! I finally did the repair.
What? No pics? After all that coaching, you gotta throw these guys a bone and show them how all that effort paid off. Show us your work. :)

Reactions: markayash
Totally right Texas Splash! I thought about it, but it was late and dark when I wrote that. Here is a pic of the finished work. If you compare before and after pictures, you can see I had to move that 45/45 degree elbow jog back towards the house to make it between the booster pump and filter. One of the original 45 degree pieces was an odd size and not the standard. It was like 3" longer. Anyway...used what I could find at Home Depot, but moved the angles and everything worked like a champ!!

Onto my other leaks and issues!! :)

Attachments

• 20190820_105314.jpg
    20190820_105314.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 24
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.