PVC repair help needed

gbrenham

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
I have a leak in my return line (yellow arrow). Yes, it's the 2nd time and the 1st time I used a rubber sleeve to fix it as you can see in the pictures. I'd like to fix it correctly, but where do I start...literally? Where would I make my cuts? As you can see I have a weird 45 degree jog in between the booster motor and filter. That weird jog will have to stay I imagine so that I can have clearance.

Attachments

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Yeah you need to cut that piece back to the front of the pad to where that 90 is. Simple fix I agree. You will also need some couplers.

pvc4.jpg
pvc3.jpg

Last edited:

gbrenham

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
Picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks PoolGate and Pool_Medic and jblizzle. How are those 45's together? A 2" piece of PVC glued into each side?

I've read some stuff about certain PVC I should be using...stuff not available at Home Depot. True?

Also on the primer & glue. Do I need to use "pool" or high pressure PVC glue?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Correct - A short piece of PVC connects the 2 45s. Regular PVC primer and glue will work. Make sure you do NOT use DWV (drain, waste, vent) PVC which is thinner and not pressure rated. Home Depot should sell everything you need.

I would start with the cut where it is leaking, then disconnect it from the filter to do the other cut. I use a sawsall on PVC this large. They really do not sell a PVC cutter that works for larger PVC unless you pay a LOT of money for it. The $20 ones don't work at all.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
That picture is the correct stuff. Schedule 40. Disregard that DWV on the pipe.
Just make sure the fittings are not DWV and also say Schedule 40.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Ok...last question (maybe!). How long to allow the PVC cement to cure before turning on the pumps again?
two hours

After joining the pipes you must hold them together for 30 seconds until the plastic hardens or they can slip apart. It takes another 15 minutes for the joint to harden to a point at which it can withstand water pressure and two hours to fully cure.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
If you ever need an emergency fix buy a coupling then cut down the middle. Then using PVC cement glue it on top of the hole and use a hose clamp until it dries.
BUT your doing the correct things fixing it the right way.

gbrenham

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
Thanks for all the advice! I finally did the repair. Wound up waiting over night to turn everything back on since we were expecting rain...which never came (Pleaassseeee we need rain!!). Anyway, all is good! No leak (at least where I repaired - new post coming soon) which also means no air in the system.

gbrenham

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
Totally right Texas Splash! I thought about it, but it was late and dark when I wrote that. Here is a pic of the finished work. If you compare before and after pictures, you can see I had to move that 45/45 degree elbow jog back towards the house to make it between the booster pump and filter. One of the original 45 degree pieces was an odd size and not the standard. It was like 3" longer. Anyway...used what I could find at Home Depot, but moved the angles and everything worked like a champ!!

Onto my other leaks and issues!! :)

Attachments