PVC pipe question

poollizard

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
See the output port on the Jandy valve in the photo? I need to cut everything off from that Tee downward and put a 2" union on it so I can repipe all the way to the pump. My question is, after i cut the Tee off, that will leave only about a half inch of pipe to glue a 2 inch union onto. Is that enough? If not, I'll have to buy a new Jandy valve and start from the ground up.

Attachments

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I see no Tee that you are referring to (pic is too close I think).

Looks like you will have to replace a lot more than planned due to the lack of free pipe anywhere around that valve.

ALTHOUGH ... you may be able to use a coupler on the outside of the valve to a larger pipe and save the valve.

poollizard

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
jblizzle said:
I see no Tee that you are referring to (pic is too close I think).

Looks like you will have to replace a lot more than planned due to the lack of free pipe anywhere around that valve.

ALTHOUGH ... you may be able to use a coupler on the outside of the valve to a larger pipe and save the valve.
Sorry for not being more clear. That fitting on the south end of the valve is a tee. Down goes to the pump, right goes to an old spa line that's not used any longer. I want to eliminate that, and repipe from the valve to the pump.

I will look into a coupler for that port, as you and Jason have suggested. Would that be a 3 inch to 2 inch reducing coupler?

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
There are reamers available to ream out fittings to accept new pipe. They are a bit pricey in the $50.00 range but, if you have an expensive valve to replace I could be worth it. Just figured I would pass this along.

poollizard

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
danpik said:
There are reamers available to ream out fittings to accept new pipe. They are a bit pricey in the $50.00 range but, if you have an expensive valve to replace I could be worth it. Just figured I would pass this along.
Thanks for the tip. I went out looking for 2.5 inch PVC pipe. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had any. Not sure where to go next. Maybe online? Dunno?

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
There has to be a plumbing store around that would have it.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)