Putting AGP on concrete patio

TVC123

Jun 25, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Hi all, newbie here. I’ve been reading a lot of threads here and they’re so helpful. So we’re one of the many who’ve succumbed to the Covid-pool buying and we scored a Bestway 16’x48”. We have a concrete patio that we’d like to put it on that has the traditional 1/4” per foot grading. How can we work with that and still get the pool to be level?

TVC123

Jun 25, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome to TFP.

You will be 4” out of level in 16’. That is too much.

Are you better at trimming wood or stone? You will need to create different thickness blocks to go under the legs to level it. It will take some slow patient work to get it right.

Thank you. So we’ve been doing a lot of reading and are planning on putting the legs on stone pavers. Doing that alone at varying heights to keep it level is enough? Won’t the liner “just hang in space” on the higher side? Can we create a gradual “hill” with foam and then cover everything up with a tarp and then put the pool on top of that?

Teald024

TFP Guide
The liner won't "hang in space." Water is heavy and the water will force the liner down to lay on the surface below it. It may also take the frame with it if the liner wont stretch enough. You should find some way to level the surface as best as you can.

Reactions: TVC123

TVC123

Jun 25, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you. Yes we are looking at a different spot in the yard. We thought it would just be simplest on the concrete, but it doesn’t seem so. Also it’s under a tree so it’ll be in the shade for much of the day plus always have debris in it.

Teald024

TFP Guide
The yard may be less level, but you can fix that with a shovel. Think of how level the patio looks and then compare it to the yard. It may be easiest to just decide where you want the pool and then make that spot level.
I would highly recommend not putting the pool under a tree unless you want the shade. The sun will heat the water and trees drop leaves and sticks.

jseyfert3

Bronze Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
I would think you could use foam (extruded poly, the solid pink or blue foam, not the white foam that breaks into little balls) and slope it somehow for the liner. I would think 4" is way to much for the liner to be unsupported though.

CurtisPDX

Aug 7, 2018
Portland OR
I would think you could use foam (extruded poly, the solid pink or blue foam, not the white foam that breaks into little balls) and slope it somehow for the liner. I would think 4" is way to much for the liner to be unsupported though.
Agreed about the liner, just need to figure out how shim the legs to make them level. Offhand I can’t think of a good way?