Purple ring around pool

Feb 7, 2018
Irmo,SC
Hi Ya'll First Post!, so here goes:
Visit to pool Store Yesterday to test water. Pool is crystal clear, but with the purple ring.Here are the results: FC-Low,TA-Low,CH-low,CYA-100,TA-80,PH-7.6,Copper-0,Iron-0,TDS-1900. So I know the CYA is high. It is raining here Great! I let the pool fill up, then lowered the water back to the purple line. More rain expected-Good. After I lowered, I added one gallon bleach, waited an hour,tested better, but still not mid-range so I added more. I have brushed the entire pool and steps. History of pool issue this summer was Black Algae so I added the devil algaecide twice and brushed till I never wanted to see the brush again! Obviously my chlorine was off. Also have used too many tabs for CYA level. I will go back to just my chlorine as I did in the past. Big lesson learned for the price of convenience! Now what? I hoping to further dilute the pool tonight with more rain. With brushing and vacuum will this ring go away with proper chemical balance? What else do I need to do? Is the cooper really gone? I was surprised at the test result. Ok experts GO!!

Becky-Jo, HI! So glad you found us!! We can get your pool back where it needs to be with your help!

We need a little more info please. You say you tested for chlorine. How did you test for it?

We don't put much stock in Pool $tore testing. We have found them to be wrong more than right and causing a lot of problems for your wallet and pool.

When you say "devil algaecide" what do you mean? Is that the brand name? I am guessing it had copper in it from you saying "Is the copper really gone?" but want to make sure we know what you are dealing with.

This should get us started!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to the forum! :wave: As Kim alluded to, anything related to pool store testing or quick-fix remedies is pretty-much a waste of time & money. Here at TFP we emphasize how important (and easy) it is to maintain your water with proper home testing using a proper/reliable test kit. It all starts there. We recommend either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C which will last all season and give you accurate results. The links you see in our signatures also provide you the vital info about what chemicals to use and to what level. Make sure to save those links yourself.

As for that purple line you are mentioning. If it's gummy, it could just be a scum line - residual oils and stuff that shows-up occasionally. A little bit of elbow grease, using s kitchen sponge, scrub pad, or maybe a Magic Eraser used lightly, might work.

Hope that helps.

HIya Becky-Jo,

My suggestion is that you *need* a decent test kit to monitor your water accurately. There are only two we recommend because they are kits that test for everything by drop tests so you get an exact number for each test. This helps enormously when you have a problem. No color matching or vague ranges to guess at.

The kit I suggest you get is the TF-100 because it is a better buy. The other kit is the Taylor K-2006C. Both are available thru TFTestkits.net Please get one ASAP as it is the *most* important element for pool care.

---> TFtestkits.net <-----

Or you could do Amazon and get the Taylor 2006C but its more expensive. Both kits we recommend use the same Taylor reagents, but the TF-100 is the better buy.

We need to know (in numbers, not "lo" "high" )
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Since you know you added copper to the pool and you know your CYA is too high, you would benefit from draining some water and replacing it. If water is cheap there in Irmo (just up the road from me) you could do multiple small drains and replacements. This would be ideal.

Holler back if we can answer any other questions-

Maddie :flower:

Hey Everyone, Thanks so much for all the responses! I agree with the Purple/copper cyanurate. That is exactly What I have going on! In answer to some of the questions, I used the Leslie pool Black algaecide this summer for the black algae. I just called it the devil! The kit I have I believe meets all the things needed. Leslie's complete poolcare DPD test kit. I will update with the recommended kit here. I have to say this time I think the pool manager was spot on with the diagnosis. Do believe the results given by the tech were also good. I tested and also found no chlorine, but CYA results not even on the chart. My kit starts at 100 and my results were way cloudy before I ever got to that mark! So I have done a partial drain. After the rain, I will fill the rest of the way,circulate and retest. I'm sure I will need to do this a few times!! Then I will rebalance the pool! With all your help and diagnosis, I have a better understanding of the problem, and the slow and painful steps I need to take! Also found a great video on Purple/copper cyanurate from ParPool online thanks to your direction. I know this will eventually go away when the water temp gets past 65. Might add Jack's Magic Blue stuff, will see how it goes. In the meantime, I have some work to do! Thanks so much Ya'll!!

Hey Everyone, Thanks so much for all the responses! I agree with the Purple/copper cyanurate. That is exactly What I have going on! In answer to some of the questions, I used the Leslie pool Black algaecide this summer for the black algae. I just called it the devil! The kit I have I believe meets all the things needed. Leslie's complete poolcare DPD test kit. I will update with the recommended kit here. I have to say this time I think the pool manager was spot on with the diagnosis. Do believe the results given by the tech were also good. I tested and also found no chlorine, but CYA results not even on the chart. My kit starts at 100 and my results were way cloudy before I ever got to that mark! So I have done a partial drain. After the rain, I will fill the rest of the way,circulate and retest. I'm sure I will need to do this a few times!! Then I will rebalance the pool! With all your help and diagnosis, I have a better understanding of the problem, and the slow and painful steps I need to take! Also found a great video on Purple/copper cyanurate from ParPool online thanks to your direction. I know this will eventually go away when the water temp gets past 65. Might add Jack's Magic Blue stuff, will see how it goes. In the meantime, I have some work to do! Thanks so much Ya'll!!

Thanks for the follow up. I hope you will come back and update every once in a while. This will help others in the future as well!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like to warn that the reintroduction of the material creating the 'purple ring' will return the copper to your water. Once it is absorbed back into the water, the pool should be drained and refilled to remove the copper.

Take care.

knauss: Do you think once it is absorbed, I could use a metal removing product? I have a vinyl liner, so should not try and entire drain? Thoughts? I am currently filling, circulating,vacume and then draining partial to lower CYA-perhaps some of the copper will go also with this process a few times?

To remove metals you must remove the water they are in. You can sequester them with chemicals, but they are still in the water.

You are right, with a vinyl liner you must do partial drain/refills. What you are doing now will take care of any copper in the water. But until the material you call the 'Purple Ring' re-absorbs, you are not removing the metals tied up in that.

Ah yes, cue the Jimi Hendrix! :rambo: When I was a complete newbie, I had to get ready for a product test on a residential in-ground pool. Initial readings were: CYA = 150, pH = 6.9, Free chlorine = 44.6! Also the owner had bypassed the heater because of a leak, and the skimmer had chlorine pucks in it. When I started trying to balance it, POOF! Purple dust all over liner and a dark ring around the top. Apparently the low pH and high CL had eaten away at the metal in the heater. Most of it vacuumed to waste ok, but I poured muriatic acid in the water near (but not onto) the liner, and scrubbed it with a non-scratch pad. The owner just laughed. Eventually I got it cleaned, balanced, and ran my test. But it took some work!

Ah yes, cue the Jimi Hendrix! :rambo: When I was a complete newbie, I had to get ready for a product test on a residential in-ground pool. Initial readings were: CYA = 150, pH = 6.9, Free chlorine = 44.6! Also the owner had bypassed the heater because of a leak, and the skimmer had chlorine pucks in it. When I started trying to balance it, POOF! Purple dust all over liner and a dark ring around the top. Apparently the low pH and high CL had eaten away at the metal in the heater. Most of it vacuumed to waste ok, but I poured muriatic acid in the water near (but not onto) the liner, and scrubbed it with a non-scratch pad. The owner just laughed. Eventually I got it cleaned, balanced, and ran my test. But it took some work!
Cue the Hendrix, ahahaha :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.