South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I'm in the planning stages for purchasing an agp for this summer. We have decided to purchase an Intex XTR 18' x 52" or a 12'x 24'x 52" pool. Right now I am leaning more towards the 18' round pool. Looks like its easier to install a wide mouth skimmer due to the walls being straighter. Any input on installing it on the rectangle pool?
I have been deep diving into past threads trying to learn everything about the pool and the upgrades we should do. There's so much info jumble up in my head I can't keep it straight. LOL
Here is my list in no particular order.
1. Hayward wide mouth skimmer (looks easy enough)
2. Upgrading the sand filter and pump to at least a 1HP pump, and a 2 speed would be a plus. The one that comes with the pool is really small (12in Filter Pump, 2100 gal Pump Flow Rate. I feel it is undersized at .30HP.) What size sand filter would be best 16", 18" or larger. Is it really necessary to go with a name brand like Hayward or Pentair? Are there other more affordable filter and pumps out there? Is it cheaper to piece mill the filter and pump instead of buying it already built together?
3. Purchasing upgraded steps for the pool. The ones that come with the pool really look wobbly!
4. hard pipe the plumbing. Is it necessary to enlarge the holes in the pole to the hard pipe?
I still haven't decided but am leaning to go saltwater instead of chlorine. We live less than 17 miles from the gulf coast and worried that adding the salt water to the pool will make to pool deteriorate faster? How well does the XTR pools hold up against the salt?

Looking at my list I think I'm about to spend more money upgrading it, then what the pool actually cost! My husband is going to freak but I feel to make it worth while it has to be done!

Thanks everyone

Reactions: Jonacani
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You have some good thoughts. Definitely get a 2-speed motor. You might need an adapter to go from the pool wall ports to your new PVC hard-plumbing, but that's about it. The rest is easy stuff. Lots of posts here on the forum about plumbing and everything else in between. Thanks for posting.

Are you saying that it is not necessary to enlarge the holes in the pool. I just need an adapter to go from 1.25" to 1.5". Will the smaller hole let enough water through to the larger pipes and pump without causing damage to the pump?

Thank you for the kind welcome. :wave:

Here is one example:

Reactions: sabrinaintx
Texas Splash, I wanted to say thank you for the link.

I found the intex pool for 999.00. Do pool prices ever come down in Feb, or March? Or should I just go ahead and purchase the pool at this price? It's the cheapest I've found online so far.

I've also been looking at filter and pumps. I'm still unsure what to get. Looks like the 2 speeds are out of my price range. I have found two filter systems, one is a Swimline HydroTools 19" Above Ground Swimming Pool Sand Filter and Pump System, which I believe is a 1.5hp. It doesn't say on the link I posted but when I google it says 1.5hp
Robot or human?
and there is this one, it's a XtremepowerUS Premium Bundle Pool Kit 19" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Pool Pump for Above Ground Swimming Pool Media System
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/912949677
I'm wondering if the 1.5hp is to much for an 18x52" pool or should I be looking at 1hp pumps?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm trying to put together a sand filter system for our new 18' intex xtr pool. I would like to save as much money as possible, so my hubby doesn't freak out! I'm looking at Sand filter systems vs. piece milling a system. It seems like its more economical to piece mill a system from looking at websites.
Here's what I am looking for, 1.5hp 2 speed pump @115v, a 19" sand filter but will a 16" sand filter work and can it handle a 1.5hp pump? I understand I'll probably have to backwash it more often that's not a big deal for me. We plan to hard plumb the system to the pool. Would y'all mind looking at my items and tell me if this is everything we need to hard plumb the pool besides the pvc pipes. Also can you tell me if I need two or three of the Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs?
Thanks everyone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY4V7K4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A1Y4RBJHD0SC34&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5SVI7U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1Y4RBJHD0SC34&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITPPS3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EL3YDI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1Q2IBR4FB3EQ6&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EL3YGA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Amazon.com: Hayward SP1022CGR 1-1/2-Inch MIP Gray Concrete Pool Drain Plug with O-Ring : Patio, Lawn & Garden

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KMIK26/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

ETA: Post read like garbage!

Last edited:
Hey Sabrina !!! Will $28 get you divorced? Sand filters darn near last forever. The more expensive one is 60% larger and will give you more options when it's time to replace the intex. And the time after that, that, that, that, 5 more thats....

Once you've proven the pool will get used, and the kids get bigger and friends start coming over, people tend to find more funding for the frequent activity that saves them from spending all that money cooling off at the movie theater. You'll probably get more pool next time. And even more pool after that.

In the short term, needing to clean it that much less will still be worth the $28. If the pool lasts 5 years, that's $5.60 a season.

Hang tight for the other parts you'll need.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey Sabrina !!! Will $28 get you divorced? Sand filters darn near last forever. The more expensive one is 60% larger and will give you more options when it's time to replace the intex. And the time after that, that, that, that, 5 more thats....

Once you've proven the pool will get used, and the kids get bigger and friends start coming over, people tend to find more funding for the frequent activity that saves them from spending all that money cooling off at the movie theater. You'll probably get more pool next time. And even more pool after that.

In the short term, needing to clean it that much less will still be worth the $28. If the pool lasts 5 years, that's $5.60 a season.

Hang tight for the other parts you'll need.
LOL Ugh my post is such garbage, I'm so sorry I wasn't clear enough. Sometimes my brain thinks faster than my fingers.
Actually, I'm not concerned about the 28.00 difference. I was talking about the cost difference between a system thats already put together vs. piece milling one. I was looking at the two and was wondering if there was much difference between the two. I'm just going to get the larger 19" I know it's the best option.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey sabrina - the 19” filter & the 1.5hp 2 speed pump is definitely the way to go vs an all in one intex setup so they can be replaced separately if one fails as newdude mentioned. The pump that matches the filter is a little cheaper than the one u listed & sold by the same seller as well 👇
XtremepowerUS 1.5 HP Variable 2-Speed Swimming Pool Pump Above/In-ground Swimming Spa Pool Pump 230V Motor Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9CFXP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_SRCJSCSTB8GAGMGJ3G92

The 1st return fitting u listed is not ideal -
A directional fitting like this is what u want 👇
Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VTGNGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_5HMKT696QKKPK7CHQ79D

Hey sabrina - the 19” filter & the 1.5hp 2 speed pump is definitely the way to go vs an all in one intex setup so they can be replaced separately if one fails as newdude mentioned. The pump that matches the filter is a little cheaper than the one u listed & sold by the same seller as well 👇
XtremepowerUS 1.5 HP Variable 2-Speed Swimming Pool Pump Above/In-ground Swimming Spa Pool Pump 230V Motor Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9CFXP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_SRCJSCSTB8GAGMGJ3G92

The 1st return fitting u listed is not ideal -
A directional fitting like this is what u want 👇
Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VTGNGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_5HMKT696QKKPK7CHQ79D
Thank you for the links Mdragger88. Is the 230v better than the 110v motor? As for the fittings; I was under the impression that the return jet was included with the hayward wide mouth skimmer. In some of the pictures I've seen on here; I need 3 of those fittings (one for each hole in the pool). I'm planning to cap off one of the inlet holes. The other inlet will be attached to the wide mouth skimmer via pvc plumbing as a safe guard. The return opening will have that fitting as well along with the return jet attach to it.
I'm wanting something like this picture but if I have it all wrong please let me know before I start cutting into the pool liner!!! LOL
pool plubming.JPG

That xtreme power pump can be wired for 120v or 240v according to it’s part #.
For the rest you are on the right track - I didn’t realize the skimmer u listed came w/ the return stuff. Since you will have all 1.5” connections it should be easy to hook everything up. The issues usually arise when trying to mate intex fittings with standard fittings & u won’t be dealing with that.
For the skimmer Just Measure twice, cut once!
Put the skimmer on before cutting the liner so there’s no way to cut the hole too big. There are lots of you tube videos of this.
With using standard above ground fittings, jets, hoses/pvc you can always run to a local pool store or hardware store for supplies when u are putting it all together.

Reactions: Newdude
That xtreme power pump can be wired for 120v or 240v according to it’s part #.
For the rest you are on the right track - I didn’t realize the skimmer u listed came w/ the return stuff. Since you will have all 1.5” connections it should be easy to hook everything up. The issues usually arise when trying to mate intex fittings with standard fittings & u won’t be dealing with that.
For the skimmer Just Measure twice, cut once!
Put the skimmer on before cutting the liner so there’s no way to cut the hole too big. There are lots of you tube videos of this.
With using standard above ground fittings, jets, hoses/pvc you can always run to a local pool store or hardware store for supplies when u are putting it all together.
Thank you for all your help and advice. I went ahead and ordered the pump with the cord already attached, the 19" sand filter and a 15000gal intex swg. My long list is getting smaller! LOL All I need now are the fittings, pvc pipe, foam boards and salt! LOL Oh and a new ladder but that'll come a little later. If there is anything else anyone can think of that I might need please let me know.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Newdude
You didn’t mention the swg before- if u plan to use regular above ground pool hoses you will need these to attach them to your swg - since its the only thing u will have w/ intex connections
Intex Replacement Hose Adapter A w/Collar for Threaded Connection Pumps (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BUM5V...t_i_B27PKCSMF283RMM8R794?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
There is another hack for using pvc - if u are going that route let us know.

You didn’t mention the swg before- if u plan to use regular above ground pool hoses you will need these to attach them to your swg - since its the only thing u will have w/ intex connections
Intex Replacement Hose Adapter A w/Collar for Threaded Connection Pumps (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BUM5V...t_i_B27PKCSMF283RMM8R794?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
ugh my bad. I did mention it in one of my other threads but failed to mention here. I do plan to hard plumb everything together. I've seen where people have cut off the fitting on the hose and add a coupler then the 1.5" pvc pipe. I won't really know until I get everything delivered. Then I can really look at all the pieces as a whole. Since you mention it, I've been searching tube looking for videos to watch. I really haven't came across anything specific yet. Thank you for letting me know. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have used those fittings to connect 2 intex swgs to my large permanent above ground pool hoses for several years- i have pvc’d the skimmer & from the pump to the sand filter but haven’t come up with an easily removable solution for my long run to my returns. #spring project

I have used those fittings to connect 2 intex swgs to my large permanent above ground pool hoses for several years- i have pvc’d the skimmer & from the pump to the sand filter but haven’t come up with an easily removable solution for my long run to my returns. #spring project
I picked up two of these today at Lowes. Here's the info for you. Item # 188223 | Model # 511-14-112-112B
Homewerks Worldwide 1-1/2-in x 1-1/2-in dia x 3-1/2-in L Union Union PVC Fitting and they were 12.88 each. A bit pricey but should work. I've also seen these in other pictures floating around the on this forum. Heres the link to the thread. Plumbing PVC / location change of Sand pump with Intex 18'x52" ultra frame?
Hope that helps you.

Attachments

• lowes union.JPG
    lowes union.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220308_1447021.jpg
    20220308_1447021.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220308_1447341.jpg
    20220308_1447341.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220308_1447021.jpg
    20220308_1447021.jpg
  • 20220308_1447021.jpg
    20220308_1447021.jpg
  • 20220308_1447341.jpg
    20220308_1447341.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220308_1447491.jpg
    20220308_1447491.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
I finally got everything delivered! Man is that 19" sand filter huge! But anyways; I think I've figured out all the plumbing including the intex saltwater gen. I found a very old thread that has a way of attaching the 40mm to a 1 1/2" pvc. Lowes has these 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" adapters that slip into an appropriate pvc coupler. The dark grey one is an electrical conduit and the white one is regular pvc schedule 40. I ended up only purchasing the 1.5" adapters because the smaller ones looked smaller than the hose that came with the saltwater gen.

When I got home I line the 1.5" adapter on top of the intex hose coupler and they are an exact match. The exact same size. Tell me if I'm wrong but can't I just cut the intex couplers off of the hose and glue it to a 1.5" pvc coupler then add the 1.5" piping? I would also use the grey nut that came with the hose to attach to the saltwater gen. Do I even need the pvc couplers at all? I don't see why I would need them?

Just for clarification I would put them together in this order. Cut the intex coupler off the hose, add the grey nut then glue on a 1.5" pvc coupler. Then continue with 1.5" piping to the sand filter and pool return (hayward 1.5" return).

Attachments

• 20220307_145828.jpg
    20220307_145828.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220308_141629.jpg
    20220308_141629.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.