Purchased a home with an existing hot tub. Need help to identify.

rtxtreme

Nov 23, 2021
Spanish Fork, UT
Hi there! We recently purchased a home that had an existing above ground hot tub (see photos). I've never owned a hot tub or pool so this is all new to me so I'm glad I came across this site. The previous owners didn't leave any information about the hot tub so I don't know the brand, what type of filters I need, etc.

The only identifying information that I can find is the Balboa control panel and it says Cal Spas on the head rest. I couldn't find anything online in searching for a Cal Spas hot tub that looked like this.

I have not taken any of the paneling off but I can do so if needed. Not sure if it's supposed to be installed this way, but they have a bunch of wood screws holding the panels on so I didn't want to take all the screws out if it wasn't necessary.

Everything seems to work, the jets turn on, the heat is currently at 104. The hot tub was low on my priority list as we have been moving in but It's starting to get cold here in Utah so I want to make sure I prepare for the winter. Should I leave it on so the pipes don't freeze? Drain and clean it and deal with it in the spring? It definitely needs a new top too; this one is crispy and doesn't fit properly but before spending hundreds of dollars on a new top and maintenance I wanted to get some feedback from other who know way more than I do. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5123.JPEG
    IMG_5123.JPEG
    497.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5134.JPEG
    IMG_5134.JPEG
    536.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5132.JPEG
    IMG_5132.JPEG
    440.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5131.JPEG
    IMG_5131.JPEG
    328.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5130.JPEG
    IMG_5130.JPEG
    397.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5129.JPEG
    IMG_5129.JPEG
    486.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5128.JPEG
    IMG_5128.JPEG
    395.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5126.JPEG
    IMG_5126.JPEG
    375.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5125.JPEG
    IMG_5125.JPEG
    454.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5124.JPEG
    IMG_5124.JPEG
    559.2 KB · Views: 22
It's likely a Cal Spa. Pillows are generally not interchangeable. The original equipment, or at least topside, has been replaced. Post pics of the equipment area, wiring diagram, and circuit board. Also, look for the manufacturers tag. Like this:
20211123_150017.jpg
Cal likes to put their name everywhere, so check valve caps and handles, and jet faces for their logo.
20211123_150201.jpg
Your filter is under the skimmer basket. Just turn counter-clockwise and lift, and you should see the filter, which should have a part number on it. If not, get a pic of the bottom fitting, feel if it's threaded and if the threads are male or female, and small and close or large and spiraled. Measure the width and depth of the filter well, and the depth of the skimmer basket and width of the bottom fitting. Post pics of the bottom of the basket.
20211123_150141.jpg
Google "how to measure a spa cover" for instructional videos.
I'd recommend you use ahhsome jet cleaner repeatedly until no new gunk comes out, then drain and refill. Run it through the winter, spas don't like to freeze and no winterization is guaranteed.
Get a good test kit, and read up on spa chemistry. Come back with any questions.
Enjoy your tub.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It's likely a Cal Spa. Pillows are generally not interchangeable. The original equipment, or at least topside, has been replaced. Post pics of the equipment area, wiring diagram, and circuit board. Also, look for the manufacturers tag. Like this:
View attachment 383173
Cal likes to put their name everywhere, so check valve caps and handles, and jet faces for their logo.
View attachment 383174
Your filter is under the skimmer basket. Just turn counter-clockwise and lift, and you should see the filter, which should have a part number on it. If not, get a pic of the bottom fitting, feel if it's threaded and if the threads are male or female, and small and close or large and spiraled. Measure the width and depth of the filter well, and the depth of the skimmer basket and width of the bottom fitting. Post pics of the bottom of the basket.
View attachment 383175
Google "how to measure a spa cover" for instructional videos.
I'd recommend you use ahhsome jet cleaner repeatedly until no new gunk comes out, then drain and refill. Run it through the winter, spas don't like to freeze and no winterization is guaranteed.
Get a good test kit, and read up on spa chemistry. Come back with any questions.
Enjoy your tub.
Thank you for the response! I sent the photos to Cal Spas and they just replied saying it's definitely not one of theirs and someone just put the head rest on there. I ended up taking the side panel off where the control panel is. There is an Infinity Spas...pump? I'm assuming that's the pump. Looks as though Infinity Spas is no longer in business. There is no other identifying information like a manufacturers tag, model number, or serial number that I can find.

Thank you for the info on the filter, I had no idea how to get in there. It's a C-4335 filter that's in dire need of replacement. I will order some Ahh-Some and some replacement filters and look into measuring for a new top. The Ahh-Some listing on Amazon has some good Flushing & Decontaminating instructions on there. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-5135.jpg
    IMG-5135.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-5136.jpg
    IMG-5136.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-5138.jpg
    IMG-5138.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-5139.jpg
    IMG-5139.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-5140.jpg
    IMG-5140.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-5141.jpg
    IMG-5141.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-5142.jpg
    IMG-5142.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-5143.jpg
    IMG-5143.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
You didn’t mention how it’s currently sanitized or if u plan on using chlorine or bromine but after your purge (s) & refill here are some guides for u 👇

Welcome!

Your filter has the part number on it, just search “C-4335 filter” and they immediately pop up.

Definitely do the Ahh-Some purge.

We can help with the chemistry too. We recommend either a Taylor K-2006C or the TF-100 test kits. A little on the pricey side I know but it really helps to know what’s going on with your water.

I am going to put my vote in for an Infinity Cozumel. Unless there are jets I am missing in the footwell area, and then it would be a Infinity Dundee

Color is Midnight Opal

Since it looks like there is only one pump that I can see, that would make it a Cozumel

Cozumel has 1, 6 HP pump

Dundee has 2

Infinity did most of it's business via big box stores - HD, Lowes, Costco, etc

Living Water Products spas bought out the assets of Infinity in 2008. Living Water also manufactured Coleman spas

In 2009 Living Water was bought by Premium Leisure

Premium Leisure is still around - but your tub is at least 24 years old, if not more, and has been through 3 different manufactures. I don't know if Premium Leisure will know anything about it

It does look similar to an LE850

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.