Pumps looses Prime

waste

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
I think that Rollin Thunder has hit upon the problem. I assume that the pump is above water level, if so the air entering the system will allow the water to drain back into the pool. There is a chance that it's the lid on the Northstar - do you see a gush of water coming out of the lid when the pump turns off? It is possible that the lid isn't fully sealed with the pump off (they only fully seal when the pump is running [as an aside - if you have trouble removing the lid, try loosening it when the pump is running :wink: ] ) If you are unable to find any other source, you can install a 'check valve' (a one way valve that lets water only flow into the pump and closes when the pump is off to preserve the prime) - if you go this route, be sure to get one with a union, so you can still blow out the lines for the winter.

HTH - waste 8)

sunnydays

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
Yes a gush a water comes out when the pumpd shuts off, but it has been doing that all season. The pump started loosing prime just this past wednesday. I will take the lid off and put it back on.

sunnydays

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
I took off the cover and put it back on again and it did not loose prime over night. I will have to keep an eye on it.

What about the fact that it gushes out water all summer when the pump turns off and not having a problem until last week?

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
That depends on what you mean when you say "gushes out water". The filter is presurized while the pump is running, so some outflow should be expected when the pump goes off. If all of the air is vented from the filter this will be minimized, but will still happen at least a little. All of which is seperate from losing prime.