Pump Won't Prime!

Jun 9, 2017
Mcallen, Tx
I walked outside to do my daily check of our 26,000 gal. pool. Skimmers were clear, pool was blue, but the filter was at 0 lbs of pressure. I turned off the electricity to the pool and checked my pump basket. It was clear. Then, I re sealed the pump o-ring in case it was getting a little dry. I turned the pool back on, opened the filter's air valve and the pump still wouldn't prime. I let it stay on for 2 minutes before shutting things back down. I had just vacuumed the pool the day before so I checked to see if all of my levers were pointing in the right directions. They were all correct. I then decided to unscrew the motor from the pump. The diffuser was cracked around the screws. So, I screwed the motor back on and ordered a new diffuser. Today, I installed the new diffuser and the pump still won't prime! Help! Photos are of the old diffuser.

Attachments

• IMG_0678 2.JPG
    IMG_0678 2.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0792 2.JPG
    IMG_0792 2.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1496 2.JPG
    IMG_1496 2.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1928 2.JPG
    IMG_1928 2.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7561 2.JPG
    IMG_7561 2.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to the forum! :wave: Good job ID'ing that cracked diffuser. :goodjob: Now it sounds as if there was still something else wrong or contibuting to the lack of prime. Just to confirm to what you've added already:
- Is the pool's water level high enough up the skimmer opening?
- When you vacuumed, is there any chance you may have sucked-up something that is blocking the line?
- Do you have a main drain or just a skimmer (or both)?
- Can you update your signature please with all of your pool and equipment info?
- You might also consider posting a pick of your equipment pad so we can all see what you have to work with.

More questions will probably follow, but this is a good start.

If you haven't already tried, maybe alternate suction to just the skimmer then drain. See if there is any noticeable difference. Sometimes one source can show signs of an air leak or blockage effecting water flow. You've already do some DIY on that pump, so is it fair to say the impeller spins freely now as well (checking with power off and trying to turn with fingers).

OPs in Texas. They never use the heater. LOL

If you haven't already tried, maybe alternate suction to just the skimmer then drain. See if there is any noticeable difference. Sometimes one source can show signs of an air leak or blockage effecting water flow. You've already do some DIY on that pump, so is it fair to say the impeller spins freely now as well (checking with power off and trying to turn with fingers).
I haven't tried that yet. I'll go try it and update you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it just me or is that filter plumbed oddly?

pump output split to the inlet / outlet of the filter?

Or am I seeing an optical illusion.

You looking at the slide backwash valve for the DE filter?

ya right below it. It looks like both the input and output of the filter are connected together.
That would make the filter effectively useless....but I can't tell from those angles if
they are separate or not.

ya right below it. It looks like both the input and output of the filter are connected together.
That would make the filter effectively useless....but I can't tell from those angles if
they are separate or not.

That's a slide valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.