Pump with easy to remove basket lid

Bandit5

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I currently have a very old pump with a lid that is extremely difficult to remove. My current SOP is to stick a 2' length of rebar through the basket lid and then use that leverage on both sides to work it loose. I only tighten it by hand, so I am not sure why it is always so tight. I have been searching for a new pump and am looking for one that does not have this problem. Merely looking at pictures, the Hayward Super Pump looks like a good solution. It seems to have two knobs that screw down to hold the lid in place to make a good seal instead of screwing down the actual lid and seal? Is there any other pump that comes to mind that has a not-so-hard to remove lid? I am looking at single speed pumps... I have a unique setup with my chlorinator and I don't want to make big changes to the way my setup runs without good reason. But I will be open to a VS pump if necessary as it shouldn't be too difficult to change my setup.

You don't say what pump you currently have. Changing pump due to sticky lid seems like maybe an overkill. Have you cleaned the lid, o-ring, and pump face? Do you use just a little silicone grease and coat the o-ring? Try this and not tightening so much maybe?

You don't say what pump you currently have. Changing pump due to sticky lid seems like maybe an overkill. Have you cleaned the lid, o-ring, and pump face? Do you use just a little silicone grease and coat the o-ring? Try this and not tightening so much maybe?

I have the Pentair PAC-FAB 3/4HP Pump listed in my sig. My pump is old and is starting to make some not so good noise when it is running. Also, I am having bubbles in my returns which I cannot figure out - there is a small possibility that the pump could be the cause. Either way, due to the noise, I figure the pump is on the way out and would like to have a replacement lined up to purchase for when it gives up the ghost. I just figured that this was one really annoying that I would like to address on my next pump if possible.

The pentair intelliflo is pretty easy to open, one lock ring that just needs to be nudged 90° and it pops right off. I don't remember having any problems opening my father in law's hayward pump, the one with the knobs.

The variable speed pumps are nice and quiet so if you can hear yours now from the pool area you would really like it. Not to mention how cheap they are to run.

Sorry missed that in your sig. Sounds like you are planning pump and motor as complete replacement assembly due to lid, noise, and possible air intake. The Pentair Intelliflo VS is well supported on this site and you will have an added bonus of being able to run at lower speeds resulting in less noise and power consumption. Keep in mind the plumbing changes that will likely be necessary if changing brands/styles. Also, keep in mind the Pentair VS will have constant voltage as the timer is built in and thus synchronizing with your stenner will be needed.

---- EDIT ----
Just saw your above post about using your existing timer for the stenner.

Just food for thought:
Most, but certainly not all, pump noise is caused by motor bearings. This could possibly be remedied with motor replacement only (or if handy just bearing replacement).
Unless the lid gasket is leaking, the likelihood of the pump causing the air leaks is small.

Just trying to help you not spend your hard earned dollars to resolve issues that can be possibly be managed in other ways. Of course a replacement will definitely solve your lid and noise problems.

As for your return bubbles:
See here for some info: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
See my recent troubleshooting on my pool here: Pump Losing Prime - Issue found

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.