Uncle Rico's Pool

Sep 6, 2019
Wichita, Ks
My pump has started to make a slight whining noise that trails off when I turn the pump off. I’m assuming it’s probably a bearing somewhere. Motor seems to be getting really hot so I am trying to run very minimally. I think it could be related to the sand I have been vacuuming off the bottom of my pool for the last month or two due to some work around the pool. I have used a sock on my skimmer when vacuuming but I know some gets through when cleaning it all out.
Where should I start? I see there is a big clasp on Housing of the pump. Does this break open for inspection very easily? Once you open do you need to replace the seals? Any help with where to start is appreciated. Also, recommendations for sourcing parts would be great. It is a Pentair Challenger.

Attachments

• 50D5C976-5AE0-48A2-AD80-0055360B5DD6.png
    50D5C976-5AE0-48A2-AD80-0055360B5DD6.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Sounds like a rebuild is in your future :)

you need to know if it is "high head" or "medium head" pump to get the correct kit...

Uncle,

Usually the way these pumps fail is that the seal fails and then water drips down onto the motor shaft and finds its way into the Bering just inside the motor. If this has been happening for some time you may find that it is easier to replace the motor then replace the bearing. This is because the long skinny bolts that hold the motor together into the Magnesium or other alloy faceplate. This causes to snap when you try to turn it. Be very careful when you remove the bolts and use plenty of penetrating oil. If you have the time and good DIY skills you can drill the bolt out and repair but it is kind of a pain. Most motor shops can't make enough money to do the repair so you end up replacing the motor. If you end up with a new motor take the bolts out one at a time and put some anti-seize material on the threads. This will make it possible for you to replace the bearing instead of the whole motor next time.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: cowboycasey
You could go with that new V Green VS pump that are flying off the shelves, I just changed mine (and Chris above also) and it is a great little motor and sips power, I am running 24/7 at 750 rpm using 24 watts of power and 1100 rpm when the SWG is on... :)

Thanks everyone - this is very helpful. Sounds like the consensus is that this is almost certainly a motor issue not a sand damaging the impeller issue?

@setsailsoon: If water has been leaking into the motor as you describe would I see a drip or not necessarily? It does seem like it’s been running hot for a long time. This is my first year with the pool so I assumed it was normal.

@cowboycasey: if I move forward with a new pump I am certainly interested in exploring some of these options. I don’t have a saltwater pool so I’m assuming the ROI would be further out. I run my pump about 4hrs a day. Thoughts?

All: any other recommendations for pumps? Also, am I limited by the bolt pattern on the housing or is this a standard for all (most) motors of this size (1horse)? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

You would keep your same pump and just replace the motor.. call or email inyo pools and ask what replacement V green motor to connect to your pump :)

depending on the design of the pump sometimes it's fairly easy to see the drip. If not you may see water seeping out from the bottom somewhere. is the base around the pump dry all the time? If not you probably have a seal leak.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, check the impeller. Turn off power, remove the strainer basket then reach in with a stick if needed and turn the impeller and check to see if anything is in there. Also, check the fan on the motor to see if there's a leaf inside.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.