Pump that will maintain water level...


Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
We've had record rain here in Western PA...seems like it's NON-STOP! I'm frustrated that I don't have a good way to lower the water level. With a cartridge pump, I don't have any way to pump to waste.

If I put a submersible in, I have to be there to take it out when the level is low enough - otherwise I forget and take out too much water (done that before).

Starting a siphon is a pain the butt - and can easily be forgotten as well.

In my imagination, I picture a pump that I can hang over the side (or in the skimmer) that will only kick on if water reaches a certain level. Then it will run and shut off when water is lowered. It doesn't have to be a permanent fixture but can be something I put in on weeks when I know I won't be using the pool.

Does such a device exist???


Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Seems like you could use a sump pump with a float on it... Put it on the highest step and plug it into a GFCI outlet.


Jim R.

Grape Ape

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't know the laws in PA or how much yard you have, but I do know that some folks have a overflow installed.

It is basically a pipe in your skimmer that lets water out if it gets too high. It generally dumps into a drain field, but could go to a sump with a pump that is plumbed to the sewer.

The beauty is that is is invisible and can't pull too much water out, but installation could be pricey.


Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
It is easy to siphon and set the hose pipe at the level you wish to drain down to? You cannot forget?
HD/Lowes for a couple hose valves, one at each end. Fill hose with your hose bib, then close off both valves. Put hose in pool, and run the other end downhill, then open each valve. Instant siphon. Then you set the pool end at the depth of the level you want, the siphon will "auto shut off."

If it were my pool, and I had to do this often, I'd glue together a little PVC gizmo that had a ball valve on it, and a hose attachment, that would sit on the coping and extend down into the pool at the perfect water level. That'd be my valve at one end, and then another valve at the other.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 11.29.58 AM.png