Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In the midst of a pool refinishing startup. Lots of things have changed since there are new drain covers, jets, etc. I’m getting air in the system periodically that I can generally solve by lubing the pump filter cover o-ring. Since I’ve been messing with it more over the last few days and playing with valve settings again, I noticed that if I turn off the skimmer completely, or even a little too far, I get a ton of air in the system and the pump will surge.
I’ve got a 3 way Jandy valve for the spa drain and jets, wondering if that would be the culprit, but don’t understand why I’m getting more air in if I only have the main drain inlet on and nothing else. Ideas appreciated!

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
No air in system currently, but the question remains: if I turn off the skimmer, is it normal for the pump to surge?

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks - I haven’t had a pool for long so still learning. I assumed, incorrectly I guess, that diverting all the water to one inlet would provide enough flow.

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
Are you certainly the main drain was fully primed? It sounds like it might not be, when I open pools up east. One line gets fully primed before we open a valve to then start priming another, the instant you move that valve the pump will lose prime and surge until themain drain is fully primed.

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m thinking now that I still have chunks of plaster and what the pool builder called cream in the drain line. I thought it had all broken loose but I had a basket full of the stuff again this morning.

Reactions: Pool_Medic

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is your pool water level high enough? It needs to be at least half way up the skimmer opening.

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Replaced the jandy valve o rings on both inlet and pressure side. Zero air in the lines or pump housing now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support