Pump stops working overnight - leak?

Fbskiracer

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2020
Upstate NY
I am new to pools.

I did a SLAM last week and added DE to the sand filter for the second time. Pressures were stable, up from 25 to 27

The next morning I heard the pump running loud. The water level was a little low and I added water. The pump was running but not with a full flow virous basket. Power cycling the pump seemed to solve it.

It did it the next night overnight again. I noted the pressure was up to 30 when that happened. There was some water leakage from the pump lid gasket when it restarted. I did a backwash and rinse cycle a couple of times.

Today it did it again.

I have noticed the skimmer is basically not functioning when this happens (bakset floating with debris no suction). The returns have low pressure.. So tonight i closed the floor drains to run more water through the skimmer in fear that the DE adding gunked a line or something.

After reading some more I am wondering if this is this a suction sided air leak form the pump lid gasket? Planning to leave the floor drains closed overnight as a test with just the skimmer running unless someone tells me differently.

The pool has only been running for 3 months. Its all new.

The pressure of 25 is the baseline when it was new. I was told to backwashe between 30 and 35. On average I backwash every couple weeks and my pressure doesn't change.

I backwashed it over the weekend. We have had lots of dirt getting in the pool from doing the yard. Its all new construction and we didn't have a yard yet.

how many returns do you have and what size pipe did they use? I have 2 suction side and 2 returns on 2 inch pipe on the same size pool and my pressure is 15 psi on a fresh filter and 2.5 psi on low... I now have a 1.67 hp VSP so bigger than your 1.5 hp...

what size return nozzles to you have? 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.