Pump start time & run time for diff seasons

Bootaa

May 27, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Hello!

I would like to know if there is a recommended start time and run time for the pump during Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter?

I have heard the pump should run overnight in winter (to prevent water from freezing at nights), and for at least 12 hrs in summer starting early morning. I do not understand the logic behind the summer start time and run time. I have been adding chlorine to the pool before sunset and I thought what if the pump runs overnight all year round? Then I read THIS, it seems the pump needs to run only 1 hr after adding chemicals. Beyond that, it is just a preference :scratch:

Also, do you guys add chlorine every day all year round? How can I avoid this at least for fall and winter? :rant:

As your pool water temperature drops your chlorine demand will drop. You will find you don’t need to add chlorine as often.

Reactions: Bootaa
You can run the pump anytime you wish. It needs to run for an hour or so after adding chemicals. Then it is run primarily to skim the surface. You have an infloor cleaning system so that has to be taken into consideration too. It is a very expensive method of cleaning a pool.

Maintain the FC based on the FC/CYA Levels year around. In November, December, and January it will take less chlorine. Starts to ramp up in February and you need to start adding daily by April through October.

An in floor cleaning system must run the pump at full speed (you have a single speed pump now so that does not apply) and you must run the pump long enough to clean the pool.

When you install a Variable Speed pump, you will then have to consider if running that pump at high rates (and the associated high electric use) will be worth it. A robot cleaner has its own pump and filter and uses very little electricity.

Thank you mknauss. I did not know that! Where can I get more info about a robotic cleaner on TFP?

I own my first pool for just a few months and before draining the pool in Spring, I asked a few pool companies to look at the equipment. They *all* said the pump was too weak (1 Hp) and the filtration was not suitable for a 20k gal pool. They were saying the pool water should circulate at least once per day through the filters, therefore, I needed a bigger cartridge filter system. They were asking $3000-3500 to upgrade to a variable speed pump.

I soon realized I needed to do some research and not to trust them. I was actually looking for a robot cleaner but they were saying Nah, that's just a fancy tool. Later, I found out it is actually 2 Hp and is enough for the pool, I just need to pay more for the electric bill. As I understood correctly, the smaller filters only mean I should clean the cartridges more often, that's it. And physically it's not possible the whole pool water can go through the filters once a day unless the pool is drained and refilled

I guess I can live with the single-speed pump and the small filters and just add a robot cleaner? It seems it will pay for itself within a year or so. Any thoughts? Should I post this in another place?
TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.