Pump speeds and run time

May 11, 2010
East Texas
New pool: about 14 days in from fill. We have an Intelliflo variable speed pump (don't remember the exact model and I'm not at the house right now). Now that our water is clear, we've been running the pump at the preprogrammed 4th speed when we're in the pool, brushing the pool, or just after adding chemicals, and then turning it down to 1 for the rest of the time. Does this sound right?

Do we ever turn this thing off?

THanks!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not versed in anything over a 2 speed pump. Somebody will chime in though. I'd think that the second lowest speed if it has 4 for 10 hours a day would be plenty. Run when it has sun on it for sure.

Your pool is fairly small, so I doubt there is any need to run the pump 24 hours a day, even on the lowest speed. My guess is that you only need to run the pump for about 10 to 15 hours a day on the lowest speed, or less than that on one of the higher speeds.

The best way to figure out your ideal pump run time is to try it out, adjust the run time and then observe the water for a week or two and see how things go. This article at Pool School describes the process for figuring out the ideal pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.