Pump size/SWG capacity - Time to decide soon

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
My contract was for a single speed 1hp/1.85hp rated Hayward pump. I want a variable speed pump and want to know how they are sized. I could contact Hayward but thought I'd post here. The builder says the SWG if for 10k gallons. I don't know how many gallons my pool will be but if the recommendation is to double the size of the pool, it seems to be too small.

Any ideas of a good pump size? I plan on using a tristar vsp.

Recommendation for SWG capacity?

Thanks

Can you post more information on your pool? Mainly get a rough size estimate and if it has water features like a spa.
I have the tristar and like it. When I bought to go to the bigger 2.7 hp ( I believe ) was only $200 more and with a VS you can turn it down so hard to go “ too big” with a VS
It moves a lot of water and is super quiet.

It's in the signature,..
16 x 32 freeform gunite pool, sunshelf, 3.5 - 5 feet deep, 7ft elevated spa with spillover, heat pump, salt system, bubblers, deck spouts, Hayward equip, additional to be determined.

Yes, I'm thinking that it may be beneficial to upsize it but just wanted to get some input.

It's in the signature,..
16 x 32 freeform gunite pool, sunshelf, 3.5 - 5 feet deep, 7ft elevated spa with spillover, heat pump, salt system, bubblers, deck spouts, Hayward equip, additional to be determined.

Yes, I'm thinking that it may be beneficial to upsize it but just wanted to get some input.
Sorry, on my phone so didn’t see it. The folks here can help determine the gallons but 10K seems small for a swg. The tristar was suggested here for my pool and it’s pulling 310 watts and I have it set higher then normal for the water fall.

The biggest thing I love is how quiet it is, the 2nd day after I installed it I was ****** thinking it had broke and wasn’t working until I got 5’ away and barely heard it and say the pressure at 5 psi

I'm getting 16k gallons if we use rectangular measurements. Free form, stairs, etc will remove gallons. So maybe figure 13k + 750 for the spa? You live in a high UV climate and will consume more daily FC than most of the country. As such, go 2X and I'd look at 25k units a minimum and wouldn't think twice of a 30k-40k unit. 40k would be pushing 3x and only need 8 hours runtime a day to produce the same as a 25k needing 12 hours. (Or 24 hours with a 13k if they make one).

With a 3X unit there is some risk of electronic failure before the plates are used up. Still though, I would have taken that risk myself in a heartbeat if it was available to me.

I'm getting 16k gallons if we use rectangular measurements. Free form, stairs, etc will remove gallons. So maybe figure 13k + 750 for the spa? You live in a high UV climate and will consume more daily FC than most of the country. As such, go 2X and I'd look at 25k units a minimum and wouldn't think twice of a 30k-40k unit. 40k would be pushing 3x and only need 8 hours runtime a day to produce the same as a 25k needing 12 hours. (Or 24 hours with a 13k if they make one).

With a 3X unit there is some risk of electronic failure before the plates are used up. Still though, I would have taken that risk myself in a heartbeat if it was available to me.

I wonder why the builder would spec a 10k SWG for a pool larger that's larger than that. At least I have time to change things around before it gets installed.

On the pump, James in another post suggested the 2.7hp tristar vsp. Are there any downsides to going larger?

I wonder why the builder would spec a 10k SWG for a pool larger that's larger than that. At least I have time to change things around before it gets installed.
They don’t care. The units are rated at 100% use 24/7. If the manufacturers say it’s fine, then it’s set in stone. But it leaves you no room for runtime and the unit will die that much earlier. To upgrade costs 20% for most models but the first upgrade gets you double the life. The second upgrade also costs 20% but you get 50% more life. So 42% increase in cost gets you 300% longer lifespan. The builder could care less about you getting bang for your buck.

Is absolutely boggles my mind how many PBs will charge people $80k or even $125k+ and then skimp on the equipment. It would be the easiest sell in any build if they told the customer to make the outdoor kitchen 8 inches shorter to pay for the *backbone of the whole operation*.

It also boggles my mind how many of those customers also want to skimp on the backbone of the whole operation and then run out and buy six $1200 loungers. Lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I need to notify the builder soon as to pump size and SWG capacity. He uses Hayward equip.

Assuming 14k gal total from newdude, the options I am looking at are:
->either 25k or 40k SWG. The 25k would not quite get me to double cap.
->either 1.85 thp or 2.7 thp tristar variable speed pump

My take on it so far is the bigger the better and there is not a huge cost difference. Anymore suggestions/comments?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
K,

Other than a slight increase in cost, there is no downside to going big..

The bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.. and the quieter it will be.

The bigger the SWCG, the longer it will last, at least in theory.. You can run it all the time at a low output, or just long enough to make the chlorine you need at a higher output.

In this case "Go big or go Home" is the call of the day.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies. I need to notify the builder soon as to pump size and SWG capacity. He uses Hayward equip.

Assuming 14k gal total from newdude, the options I am looking at are:
->either 25k or 40k SWG. The 25k would not quite get me to double cap.
->either 1.85 thp or 2.7 thp tristar variable speed pump

My take on it so far is the bigger the better and there is not a huge cost difference. Anymore suggestions/comments?

Go with the 40k SWCG. Last time I looked it was the sweet spot in the Hayward lineup in terms of value for the money. It will also give you more flexibility in run times.

I heard from the builder and he is going to use a Omni PL controller which comes bundled with a 40k gal SWG. Only other thing he said the 2.7 variable speed pump was large but will get one.

Mark, how much does the pump consume in electric cost? Your pool is about twice the gallons as ours will be but just wondering.

I heard from the builder and he is going to use a Omni PL controller which comes bundled with a 40k gal SWG. Only other thing he said the 2.7 variable speed pump was large but will get one.

Mark, how much does the pump consume in electric cost? Your pool is about twice the gallons as ours will be but just wondering.
It’s hard to know but 300 watts is like running 3 old fashion 100 watt light bulbs so not a lot. With my old 1.5 BP super pump the power bill jumped in the summer and now I don’t think it matters a lot.
The smaller pump would work but like folks here say better to run a bigger pump at low rpm then a smaller one wide open

how much does the pump consume in electric cost?
K,

I run my pump 24/7 as I have a SWCG and like to make a little chlorine all the time.. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo and run it at 1200 RPM, most of the time. To do that it costs me less than $20 bucks a month.. And.. my IntelliFlo is an older model, if I had a newer one, it would be less than $10 bucks a month.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.