Pump Selection

Jul 31, 2010
Looking for a replacement pump.
From what I have read here a 1HP 2-speed pump would be more than enough for my needs.
Pentair/Sta-Rite have the OptiFlo and Dynamo in 1HP 2 speed models.

Pentair Dynamo 340204 - Sta-Rite Dynamo 340060SR
Pentair OptiFlo 347990 - Sta-Rite OptiFlo 347991SR

What are the real differences between them?
Are there other pumps I should be looking at?
Where to purchase online for a good price?

Also, can anybody tell me what the GPM would be in low speed given a Head of 30-35? (filter psi is just over 13)
All the charts show high speed flow with no mention of drop for low speed.

This is my third season with this setup, the pool has been up and running since mid April.
The pump just started turning itself off and on (overheating I believe).

16'x28'x54" oval pool
13200 gal
Sand filter (2 sq feet, 150lbs, max 25 PSI)
1 skimmer and 1 return

What are the real differences between them?
Head curves are slightly different but the main difference is in the pump basket. I like the Optiflo design better.

Also, can anybody tell me what the GPM would be in low speed given a Head of 30-35? (filter psi is just over 13)
The filter pressure and plumbing head loss is dependent on the pump you have now so once the pump is changed, the filter pressure and head loss will probably change so you really can't use the old's pumps numbers unless it is one of the pumps you are considering. However, on typical AG plumbing, both pumps will produce around 48 GPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.