Pump selection, Hayward MaxFlo, EcoStar, Super Pump, TriStar?

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
Apologies in advance in that I'm cross-posting a bit, I asked for equipment suggestion in my other thread but thought I would try in this sub-forum as well as I'm specifically trying to settle on a pump. The builder's initial proposal includes a 3/4 HP Hayward MaxFlo XL. The pool will be about 16k gallons and we'll be using a SWG, and likely 2 or 3 deck jets. From what I gather the 3/4 HP is likely big enough, but as the MaxFlo XL is a single speed I think that's one area I should upgrade to something better up front. My problem is even with looking at the specs side by side, I can't really tell a difference between the various other available pumps. When I focus on variable speed pumps in the same "size" range there is the MaxFlo, TriStar, Super Pump, and EcoStar. I do see from Hayward's documentation that the TriStar is "ideal for waterfalls and fountains" and the Super Pump is "ideal for pressure side cleaners" though I don't understand why that is for either case and would like to. With that said, I don't know how much the deck jets require but surely nothing like a waterfall, and we will not be using a pressure side cleaner.

If my gut were making the choice I'd say the MaxFlo VS is the one for me, but there may be something I'm missing.

As for automation, not planning on it but not against it either, if that would need to be factored into the pump decision at all I guess I would want to know that also. I believe the MaxFlo VS can be driven my Hayward's Omnilogic system if I were to add it down the line?

The larger the VS HP, the higher the maximum flow rate on a given plumbing system. This can be useful for high flow rate features (e.g. spas, waterfalls, etc). However, if you don't have any of those, the other benefit of a larger VS pump is that you can run them on lower RPM for the same flow rate as a smaller VS pump at a higher RPM. This means the larger VS pump will be quieter and usually more efficient.

I believe the MaxFlo VS can be driven my Hayward's Omnilogic system if I were to add it down the line?
All Hayward VS pumps can be controlled by OmniLogic.

Thank you @mas985, that does make sense for the larger HP models. Any good references to help me understand the difference between various models of equal or similar HP? i.e. what is the difference from a MaxFlo 1.65 HP to a Super Pump 1.65 HP to a TriStar 1.85 HP, etc?

There isn't much of a difference between the MaxFlo and SuperPump except for the pump basket design. The TriStar is a bigger pump, more than what the THP would suggest.

Each of the three are drop in replacements for their single speed cousins so that it can minimize plumbing changes for pump replacement.

But given you have a new pool, I would get the TriStar 2.7 HP VS. That way you have the power should you ever need it.

BTW, what size pipe is the PB using for both the suction and return side plumbing? That is often key to efficiency.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.