Pump replacement, super newbie

Stargate_to_earth

May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
Bought a house with an above ground pool in disrepair. Got liner installed, filled with water. Went to inspect pump this morning as it had filled overnight. Water leaking out of output of pump. Disconnected flange between pump and filter and tried to unscrew output line (pvc) , line broke off with threads in pump. Decided to try to turn pump on for a second to verify it even worked, faint hum, no water movement. Tried to turn valve on top of sand filter, wouldn't turn.

2 questions:
Old pump is 1.5 hp Hayward and sand filter and in line clorineator (puck holder) Hayward also, do I just need to replace whole kit and kaboodle, if so should I go with a 0.5 hp pump since pool school says it'll be fine (24' round 48" deep around 13.5k gal), should I go with another 1.5 hp,?

Should I replace whole sand filter or can I just get a new valve?

Thanks 20180508_070607.jpg 20180508_070828.jpg 20180508_065835.jpg

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I'd remove the multiport and try greasing the spider gasket with a pool lube first and oil the spring underneath. But yes...just it can be replaced. I'd go for a one horse 2 speed pump myself.

Stargate_to_earth

May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
How hard is that to do, sounds like Greek to me. I'm an engineer, so I probably could figure it out... It's been sitting with no water for 2 years and is probably used for 6-8 years before that...

Stargate_to_earth

May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
I found a exact replacement on Amazon for 85 bucks, and a cheap pump see photos.

Guy who put liner in said only had a couple years left in pool structure due to rust, so figured a cheap pump would be fine.