Pump replacement options Variable vs single speed

RyanWendell

Mar 14, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hello all!

I was looking to replace my pool pump which recently died and decided it might be best in my case to hire someone. The area is just too tight for my skill level. Pictures attached.

I reached out to a few local companies and pool stores to get an idea of the cost to have a new one installed and wanted your opinions on which is the best deal. Prices are with installation and should be very close to final.

I want to go variable speed for the potential energy savings which should pay for the pump so a 3 year warranty is attractive to almost guarantee I will at least break even. Any thoughts/opinions are welcomed. I've been told VS won't save you any money by some people.

$1,438.25

JANDY PLUS HP 2.7 HP VARIABLE SPEED PUMP
3 YEAR WARRANTY

$845.35
JANDY PLUS HP 1.5 HP PUMP
3 YEAR WARRANTY

$1075
Hayward Maxflo VS500 (not sure what model this is but that's what I was told)
3 year warranty

$1887.17
Jacuzzi® JVX300 Pro Grade Variable Speed Pump

5 year warranty

$1354.67
Pentair 011028 - IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
3 year warranty

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    657.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 26
I would put in the Pentair 011028

Have the installer use pump unions so you can more easily remove the pump in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
Ryan,

Out of your list, the only pump I would install would the be the IntelliFlo VS.. I have three of the older versions of this pump and they have run flawlessly for cumulative total of about 19 years.

The new 011028 has a rotatable or remote mountable control panel that would be helpful with the tight equipment pad you have.

Keep in mind that with a VS pump, the AC power is applied to the pump all the time, but you will still need to use your timer to control the power to your SWCG, so that the SWCG will be off any time the pump is not scheduled to run. You will schedule the run time of the pump from the pump's control panel.

Not sure what idiot told you a VS pump won't save you any money, but I'm sure he does not own one.. My pump runs 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, and costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ryan,

Also... The HP of your original pump would be important if you were planning on replacing it with another single speed pump.. But with a VS pump, you can't go too big.. Actually, large VS pumps are slightly more economical than smaller VS pumps.. VS pump should really be called Variable Horsepower pumps, because that is what they are.. You only use the amount of HP you need at the time.. So, when running your SWCG, you can run a long time at a low HP and when running your in floor cleaning system, or your spa, you can crank the HP up to what makes them work best.

Jim R.

Ryan,

Jim pretty much layed it out for you. And as noted by Allen, out of the pumps offered, the Intelliflo for sure. My only question on HP was if you could go w a pentair VSP w 2-2.5HP, you'd save money on the initial cash outlay. But a 3 HP VSP operating at 1.5HP costs less per kwatt than a 2 or 2.5HP operating at 1.5HP. You just have to do the math and determine what works best for you? Your e-pad is fairly close, so your head loss is minimized, so a 2HP would certainly wk if a 1.5HP did. But a 3HP could surely make your spa more invigorating.

Finally, any pics of your pool service box? You'll have to install a DP 20AMP GFCI breaker w the VSP.

Last edited:
If you choose the Pentair pump you should install the recommended Siemans or Pentair GFCI CB that reduces false trips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ryan,

Jim pretty much layed it out for you. And as noted by Allen, out of the pumps offered, the Intelliflo for sure. My only question on HP was if you could go w a pentair VSP w 2-2.5HP, you'd save money on the initial cash outlay. But a 3 HP VSP operating at 1.5HP costs less per kwatt than a 2 or 2.5HP operating at 1.5HP. You just have to do the math and determine what works best for you? Your e-pad is fairly close, so your head loss is minimized, so a 2HP would certainly wk if a 1.5HP did. But a 3HP could surely make your spa more invigorating.

Finally, any pics of your pool service box? You'll have to install a DP 20AMP GFCI breaker w the VSP.
foto_no_exif.jpg

Attachments

• foto_no_exif 3.jpg
    foto_no_exif 3.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 4
  • foto_no_exif 2.jpg
    foto_no_exif 2.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 4
Ryan,

Out of your list, the only pump I would install would the be the IntelliFlo VS.. I have three of the older versions of this pump and they have run flawlessly for cumulative total of about 19 years.

The new 011028 has a rotatable or remote mountable control panel that would be helpful with the tight equipment pad you have.

Keep in mind that with a VS pump, the AC power is applied to the pump all the time, but you will still need to use your timer to control the power to your SWCG, so that the SWCG will be off any time the pump is not scheduled to run. You will schedule the run time of the pump from the pump's control panel.

Not sure what idiot told you a VS pump won't save you any money, but I'm sure he does not own one.. My pump runs 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, and costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

011028 vs the Intelliflo VSF- 011056?

I have a estimate for a 011056 install for $1,574 vs a 011028 for $1354

Ryan,

I can't see any reason to have a VF pump... The 011028 is a VS pump, the 011056 is a VS and/or VF pump.

Spend the extra cash if you want, but why do you think you need the VF options?

My recommendation is to go with the 011028, but that is up to you.

Simple is almost always better..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RyanWendell
Ryan,

I can't see any reason to have a VF pump... The 011028 is a VS pump, the 011056 is a VS and/or VF pump.

Spend the extra cash if you want, but why do you think you need the VF options?

My recommendation is to go with the 011028, but that is up to you.

Simple is almost always better..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks! I think that answers it. The 011056 is what Pinch a Penny was trying to sell me when I asked about the 011028.
If there is no major difference I might as well go with the 011028 with a 3 year warranty.

Thanks!!

I see you have a IFCS in floor cleaning system. You'll need to run the VS at higher speed for 2-3 hrs (or I did for mine) and then throttle down to a low speed to save $.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.