Pump Replacement/automation question.

maverickfp18

Oct 18, 2020
Dallas
Hello all. Need some help/clarification as I have not found definitive answers on the web. I currently have a ~25000 gallon pool with a single speed century 2 HP main pump. I also have a Century 3/4HP boost pump for my kreepy krawler. Controlling it all is a Compool Lx3800 with an indoor panel along with the outside panel. There was a spa but the previous owners got rid of it.

My questions:

1. I want a VS pump and was looking at the Pentair Superflo VS since it looks pretty inexpensive at $700 on amazon. Will this pump work with my compool Lx3800 controller I have now? What would I need to purchase if not?

2. I was looking at the Pentair Intelliconnect controller and i'd like to upgrade to a wifi type control if I could. Is that compatible with the superflo VS model pump or do I HAVE to have an intelliflo pump? If I got an intelliflo pump with the intelliconnect controller does that controller do everything or do you have to have another controller to pair with it?

3. Is pentair the way to go? Does Hayward offer a better product regarding pumps/controllers?

Questions 1 and 2 are my priority, just threw 3 in there if you all thought it would be better to go hayward. Thanks for the clarification.

The SuperFlo VS cannot really be controlled by automation. Pentair uses an RS-485 serial connection to talk to the pump and the SuperFlo VS does not have an RS-485 connection.

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are several newer manufacturers of variable speed pumps that have an onboard internal timer. Waterway, Circupool, to name a couple. Look at Discount Salt Pools, Inyopool for pumps that have these features. All they need is to be wired to the existing relay in your compool system. You can set the run time at various speeds internally. Some also have digital inputs that can be used to trigger a desired speed.

Chris

Depends on what you consider "work" means.. Your current system can turn the pump on and off, but it has no way to control what program or speed the pump is running.

The SuperFlo VS does have the ability to change speeds based on inputs that you can feed it on 4 wires. Each wires could be connected to a relay.. When you turned on the relay, then the pump would run at whatever speed you previously set up in the pump. A pretty crude way to run the pump.

If I had your pool, I would buy the Lx3800 to EasyTouch upgrade kit.. This would basically make your system into an EasyTouch 8.. I would add the IntelliFlo and maybe later add ScreenLogic for control using your PC, Tablet or Phone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Depends on what you consider "work" means.. Your current system can turn the pump on and off, but it has no way to control what program or speed the pump is running.

The SuperFlo VS does have the ability to change speeds based on inputs that you can feed it on 4 wires. Each wires could be connected to a relay.. When you turned on the relay, then the pump would run at whatever speed you previously set up in the pump. A pretty crude way to run the pump.

If I had your pool, I would buy the Lx3800 to EasyTouch upgrade kit.. This would basically make your system into an EasyTouch 8.. I would add the IntelliFlo and maybe later add ScreenLogic for control using your PC, Tablet or Phone.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

That's pretty cool. I didn't know that was possible. I like that solution.

Chris

I currently have a ~25000 gallon pool with a single speed century 2 HP main pump. I also have a Century 3/4HP boost pump for my kreepy krawler. Controlling it all is a Compool Lx3800 with an indoor panel along with the outside panel.

What exactly does the Compool control right now, just the main pump and cleaner pump? Any heater or lights?

The IntelliConnect is a very basic system with only two relays, but for around $300 it's good value if you have limited needs. Both your current pumps would connect to the relays, but if you're looking for a variable speed pump then you would need to get an IntellFlo for reasons described earlier, but the IntelliConnect would be able to control it completely via RS485 interface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.