Pump question

krfuquamd

Bronze Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Greenwood, SC
I have decided I need to replace my existing .75HP single speed Jandy pump. Historically I have run the pump 24/7. I enjoy the waterfall even when I'm not swimming and I figured running the water 24/7 keeps it circulating and improves filtration as well as keeping the water temp down during the summer. I may opt for running it dawn to midnight with the new one.

My question is should I insist on a variable speed pump with this new one? I had a PB come by and he said he would just replace the existing pump with a 1.5HP single speed pump( Sta Rite I think ). Right now I am having trouble getting sufficient water to my waterfall without compromising the amount I send to the pool wall returns. He says the new one will fix that.

Don't know if it impacts things but I'd like to add a SWG as well this spring. Any thoughts on best one for this size pool(35-40K)?

Lastly, I've never had any automation in my setup. Any value in adding something like an Easy Touch in my situation with no spa?

Thanks

I think a 1.5VS makes good sense in your pool. A little too big to run at max speed but the VS feature gives you the flexibility to use several flow rates.

I can't help with automation.

K,

Seems to me that if you follow your pool builder's advice, and get a single speed 1.5 HP pump, you will double your electrical costs. :(

A variable speed, or two speed pump, would be a much better choice in my opinion.

How do you currently chlorinate your pool? One of the things to consider is that if you go with a SWCG (which I love BTW), it can cause your pH to increase. If you run your waterfall a lot, this will also will cause our pH to increase.

Just for reference, I run my 3 HP Intelliflo 24/7, most of the time at 1,200 RPM for less than $20 per month.

Almost no one "needs" automation. But, it is fun to have, and has some advantages.

Here is just one simple example: In my case, I don't run my waterfall much, but the system turns it on for 10 minutes a day, just to keep the water in the pipes chlorinated. A pretty simple task, but more of a pain to do daily if done manually. I'd have to physically go outside and turn a valve, then ramp the pump speed up to what is needed for the waterfall... wait 10 minutes and turn everything back to its original position.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I enjoy the waterfall even when I'm not swimming .....

Right now I am having trouble getting sufficient water to my waterfall without compromising the amount I send to the pool wall returns. He says the new one will fix that.
If you run the waterfall a lot and you have a hard time supporting the waterfall AND the returns, I don't see how a VS is going to help you much. You would end up running it at near full speed all the time. When would you use the lower speeds?

If you plan on running the waterfall only during daylight hours, then I would get the most efficient one speed you can w/timer.

I plan to run the waterfall from dawn to midnight and circulate the water 24/7. I want to add a SWCG.

- - - Updated - - -

My existing .75 HP pump runs fine. I guess I could use that one solely for the waterfall and add a second pump for circulating water.

Adding an automated diverter valve to shut off the pool returns when you only want the waterfall going coupled with a vs or 2 speed pump is an option but not a cheap or easy option. Getting a second pump and having one pump for the pool and one for the waterfall is another.
I agree with mas tho a vs pump by itself isn't going to do much to change your situation.

I am looking at the ecopump ep-6. I did the math and my pentair single speed 1.5hp cost 3.67 a day running 24/7. The ecopump would cost .75¢ a day. Now I didn't pull the amps off the pentair while it's running. This is based on the label. So, it will take a couple of years to recoup the cost, plus ecopump has 3 year warranty. Has anyone had any experience with ecopump?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I'm missing something. The water is getting back to the pool via the waterfall, why does it matter if it's returned to the pool via the waterfall or the returns? Skimming action?

Well I guess I assumed I needed to have at least some water running thru those pipes to keep the water from being unsanitary. Also figured, maybe wrongly, that the returns assisted, by their placement, in getting surface debris to the skimmers.

You are correct, the returns assist in the flow to get surface debris to the skimmers. Does the skimmer action work with out the flow to the returns? You could adjust the flow so there's very little flow to those lines like 90/10, 90% to the falls, 10% to the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.