Pump Programming

I'm new to pools, just moved here to FL panhandle. I've got chemistry (balanced) and mechanicals down (on third IC-40 after failures under warranty!!).

Question. How does this sound for pump operation. One point is for freezing (in December, now not a worry) and another is for near constant circulation, to fight algae growth. Lower RPM is about 100 watts and that seems workable. Any thoughts?

2500 RPM 6AM - 10AM
1800 RPM 10AM - 12PM
800 RPM 6PM - 11PM
800 RPM 12AM - 6AM

I'm new to pools, just moved here to FL panhandle. I've got chemistry (balanced) and mechanicals down (on third IC-40 after failures under warranty!!).

Question. How does this sound for pump operation. One point is for freezing (in December, now not a worry) and another is for near constant circulation, to fight algae growth. Lower RPM is about 100 watts and that seems workable. Any thoughts?

2500 RPM 6AM - 10AM
1800 RPM 10AM - 12PM
800 RPM 6PM - 11PM
800 RPM 12AM - 6AM

Barney,

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

There really is no one answer that fits everyone.

In my case I run my pump 24/7, at 1,200 RPM most of the time, for less than $20 a month. I do this mainly because I like the idea of the SWCG producing chlorine on a continual basis which I believe keeps the FC level more stable. Certainly not for everyone, but it works for me. I do ramp up the speed a few times a day to help with the skimming action

I have to run a minimum of 1,100 for my flow switch to close on the SWCG.. I add another 100 RPM just to make sure...

I suspect your 800 may not close your flow switch.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim for the reply! I have my IC-40 on a timer to run only during the six hours when the pump is at higher RPM. At 40% it keeps the chlorine around 5ppm. I am starting to see your point that every pool is unique. Maintenance is an art, with science mixed in ��

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.