Tyler, texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Hello all, I'm a new pool owner. Thanks for all the great info here. I have a question about priming the pump. Due to construction for install and now landscaping and more tree removal, I am needing to empty the pump skimmer pretty frequently.
I'm worried about how long it takes to pull water back into the pump. I fill the pump back ip with water before sealing the see through lid, but when I start the system that water is immediately pulled into the filter and the pull pnrunsbdry for 20 to 45 seconds as its pulling water. I worry that this is too long and will shorten the life of the pump.

Is this ok or am i right to be concerned? Also what would be a good solution?

It's fine,
That pump can prime like that for years. You could speed up the priming by pouring a bucket of water into it somewhat filling the line. When that first immediate pull happens, it will find more water faster than an empty line.

Anyway 20 40 seconds of dry prime, or even better rocking prime is not going to hurt anything.

Hello all, I'm a new pool owner. Thanks for all the great info here. I have a question about priming the pump. Due to construction for install and now landscaping and more tree removal, I am needing to empty the pump skimmer pretty frequently.
I'm worried about how long it takes to pull water back into the pump. I fill the pump back ip with water before sealing the see through lid, but when I start the system that water is immediately pulled into the filter and the pull pnrunsbdry for 20 to 45 seconds as its pulling water. I worry that this is too long and will shorten the life of the pump.

Is this ok or am i right to be concerned? Also what would be a good solution?
You should compare the time gained priming the pump by adding the water, to the priming time by not adding the water and letting it prime. I'm not convinced in your situation there's much gain. I think you need to figure out why you're needing that much priming if the lid hasn't been opened. Perhaps a check valve can be of help thus reducing the priming time unless your equipment is very far from the pool or on amuch higher level.

If you have valves on the suction lines then close those before removing the lid. After cleaning the basket & topping up the water then replace the lid, open the valves & turn on the pump. The quicker it primes the better but 45 seconds or less shouldn't hurt the seal.

The only thing to be sure of is to not run the pump dry. The seal can be easily ruined if run dry for any length of time. in your case if you had a valve on the inlet to the pump you could close before cleaning the skimmer it would cut down on how long it takes to prime. But yours does not seem to be excessive. Does the pump get air in it when it sits for a while and is not running? if so you have a leak and air is getting in and that would make it more difficult to prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.