Pump Prime Bowl not full

jhfla

May 14, 2009
I had a Northstar sp4007 3/4hp and the prime was good until my DE pressure would get high and I would clean the filter and always had a full prime bowl. I replaced the pump with a Jaccuzi 185 which is a Hayward SP32900VSP in disguise. I can't get the bowl to fully prime, I checked the connections used lube and tape for the input and output. It goes to just above the basket. And idea's? I've tried just to drain, just to skimmer, just to vacuum line and a mix of all same results. DE Pressure was 10-20 with Northstar, now it is almost 20 in motor prime mode. drops below 10 when at 1750rpm or so.

Filter pressure dropping as RPM is decreased is normal.

The pump basket developing an air bubble at the top is normal when a VS pump is run at lower RPMs.

Does the pump basket fill with water when you run the pump at max RPMs?

Filter pressure dropping as RPM is decreased is normal.

The pump basket developing an air bubble at the top is normal when a VS pump is run at lower RPMs.

Does the pump basket fill with water when you run the pump at max RPMs?
It gets to the top of the basket in prime which is the high rpm. not to the top of the lid.

jh,

Sounds like normal for a VS pump run at a low RPM.

Beside the fact that there is a bubble in the pump basket, what problems are you having?

What is not working because the pump basket is not full?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: borjis
jh,

Sounds like normal for a VS pump run at a low RPM.

Beside the fact that there is a bubble in the pump basket, what problems are you having?

What is not working because the pump basket is not full?

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump basket not full, wasn't sure if this is normal when in prime(high speed) or I have a problem. Coming from a single and the bowl always filled up, wasn't sure if something new was wrong. Everything otherwise seems ok. If the bowl filled up on prime (high Speed) I probably wouldn't have cared. Thx

jh,

The key to me is does the water level in the pump stay stable. In other words, does it keep getting lower and lower over time. If not, I would not worry about it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.