Pump not Primining on AM startup

Toph151

May 27, 2010
I have a 10yr old IG 14x28 pool. Jaccuzi filter and pump. When I kick on the pump manually in the AM, the pump will not prime at all. I need to open up the basket, add water and bingo, pump primes and runs without issue. I have already re-thread taped the inlet to the pump and the outlet to the filter last night and had the same issue this morning. If I turn the pump off in the evening then head out to try starting, few hrs after its been off, it will prime. Seems to be a prolong period of time, overnight it will not prime itself again.

:hammer:

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You're getting air into the system from somewhere. Have you lubed the strainer basket o-ring? Have you made sure the air bleed valve o-ring is good and the valve is tight? It could be the spider gasket leaking a little under vacuum when the pump is off.

Toph151

May 27, 2010
Bama Rambler said:
You're getting air into the system from somewhere. Have you lubed the strainer basket o-ring? Have you made sure the air bleed valve o-ring is good and the valve is tight? It could be the spider gasket leaking a little under vacuum when the pump is off.

O-Ring on the basket is good an lubed. Spider gasket? When I shut down the pump, I can see and hear the water flush out of the plumbing. There is no visible water leaks at all around the pump or pump base.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I am assuming that the Jacuzzi filter is a sand filter with a multiport valve. If it has a slide valve instead, the o-rings could be the culprit.

Since you can see and hear the water it means you either have a leak somewhere or the skimmer is sucking in air and the filter is building air in it when it's running. Since it takes a long time for it to expel enough water to lose prime I suspect a leak.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
J Just Getting Started 1
C Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 1
MermaidMama Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 2

Other Threads of Interest