Poolnewbie60

Apr 29, 2020
Gilroy, CA
My pool pump turns on automatically at 6 AM every morning and runs until 2 PM. I recently replaced my filters and now the pump turns on but does not cycle the water. To get the pump to work I have to go out and turn the Jandy valve to spa drain, this will get water inside the pump basket, I then turn it back to regular filtration and it will run as it should. If I release all the air from the manual air relief then the next day the pump will turn on without having to change to spa drain but only for that day. if anyone has any idea how to fix this please let me know. 1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 8
  • air drain.jpg
    air drain.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 9
  • basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 9
  • jandy valve.jpg
    jandy valve.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 9
Welcome! :wave: The filter housing doesn't look new, so I"m guessing you actually replaced the filter "cartridges" inside right? Before that point everything worked fine? If so, then it sounds like during reassembly there may be a tiny air gap around that filter housing (top & bottom seal). When you shut off the pump, air gets sucked "IN" and then your water flows out of the pipes back to the pool so the pump basket goes dry until you re-prime it again. At least that's what it sounds like to me. You might double check that seal around the filter housing (lube it perhaps) and perhaps even the air relief valve (tiny o-ring) to ensure no air is getting pulled inward. You won't always see a water leak on the outside, but air can go in when turned off.

Yes I replaced the cartridges 4 of them. The filter housing has always leaked since we bought the house and I emailed Hayward about a replacement seal asking if this could cause my issue and they said no it's probably a suction side leak. I'm not sure what that means that's why I came here

A suction side leak is quite common and can result in loss of prime to the pump. But since you didn't seem to have the problem until you did some filter maintenance, I focused on your last steps and didn't rush to the suction side scenario. Plus, you can pull water from the spa easily which would seem to rule our "some" suction side areas (i.e. pump). Now if your skimmer suction line is blocked a bit, or the weir door not operating properly, that could be another issue. But with you saying the filter housing has always leaked water tells me if water is leaking out, then air is getting sucked "in" when the pump is off. When the pump shuts off, you might even hear the water shifting in the lines. Ideally, the system should retain its pressure and water should not move around when off. But if you would like to review the suction side areas to be safe, there is a lbnk below to help.

Thanks I'll check out that link. I've messed around with it a bit and if I shut off the pump with the jandy valve on the spa drain position I do not hear any bubbles but if I have it on the pool side I hear bubbles. Also water shoots out of the pump housing where the basket is as soon as it shuts off but I've replaced that gasket recently. I'll go ahead and get that filter housing o ring and see what that does. Thank you.

Also water shoots out of the pump housing where the basket is as soon as it shuts off but I've replaced that gasket recently.
Is the water shooting out at the lid? If so, did you apply some silicone lube to that o-ring? Next time the pump basket is dry, try running a garden hose over the lid to smother a potential air leak and see if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.