Pump Not Moving Water

Jun 22, 2017
Austin, TX
I have a bit of an emergency today. I went out to clean / shock the pool this morning because I am about to go on a 2 week vacation and I noticed the following:
  1. The spa which is lower than the pool and partially drained.
  2. I tried to turn on the filter pump and it sounds like its spinning running normally but no water moves.
  3. The filter pressure gauge reads zero.
  4. Everything was working fine yesterday when I cleaned the pool.
Things I have tried:
  1. Checked all skimmers and pump filter for blockage. They were all very clean.
  2. Tried moving the pump impeller with a screw driver, very hard to tell if I was or not but seemed to spin.
  3. Checked pump lid for cracks, and inspected rubber gasket and lubed.
  4. I was able to prime pump with water from filter buy releasing the pressure valve, it worked once now there is seems to be no water in the filter.
  5. I inspected for leaks everywhere, but its so Dang hot outside that it evaporates within minutes, I didn't see anything.
  6. I inspected my 3 clear flow-back values and didn't see any cracks.
  7. I put into spa mode and tried running filter pump, didn't make any difference water didn't seem to be moving.
What I plan on trying:
  1. Last time the spa drained (1 year ago), I fixed by replacing the spa side flow-back value. I am thinking of taking each of them off and lubing their gaskets.
  2. I feel like the pump sounds like its working fine, but doesn't seem to be drawing water. Is it possible the pump is broken on the inside but still spinning? I just put in a new pump 2 years ago, I hate to spend $800 and a day of time on replacing especially if its fine.
  3. I keep thinking its a leak, but don't know how to find it, any tips?
  4. Anything else I am over looking? Like I said this is kind of an emergency I only have today and tomorrow to fix, any help would be appreciated.
  5. Call someone?
Thank you, in advance.

Thank you watching now. One thing I noticed is I don't even get any water agitation when the pump is on, even if its full of water. Like nothing just still water. When I watch these guys ya they might not be getting suction but you can tell the pump is trying or doing something. I get nothing.

Was just out there. The impeller moves with a screw driver but not super easy. Also tried to put a hose down the sucktion side of pump and filled the basket with water. The pool pump is not draining with the lid off, this has never ever happened. The pool pump is higher by a good 2 or 3 feet than the pool water so if its not sealed it always drains. I tried pushing water down the sucktion side and all of a sudden it got real dirty and wouldn't drain back. So now I do think I have a clog, and now I am going to HD to try and buy the hose bladder thing.

Reactions: bioguy
What is the current filter pressure? What is the normal clean filter pressure? When was the last time you cleaned the filter?

Current filter preassure is zero, its normally at 30, cleaned 2 months ago. I am thinking the shaft seal has broken on the pump. I am probably going to replace whole pump tomorrow, then after vacation I will try and repair the old pump. It will suck having two pumps but I don't have time to order parts and do repairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replaced the pump today, it was definately a bad pump. Replaced my old Pentair Intelliflow VS #011018 with a new Pentair Intelliflow VS #011056. It cost $1200. Anyways check out this picture of the old one, the whole bottom has corroded out. When I have time I will take it apart. Anyone know what would cause this? It only lasted 2 years!!

Attachments

• corrosion.jpg
    corrosion.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.