May 30, 2015
Stamford, ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Dear Forum,

My trusted Hayward 1.5HP dual-speed pump (bought in 2018) did the humming noise 2 months ago, which I successfully fixed by changing the capacitor (thank you Forum).

Today the pump was doing it again. What the h** I thought... Maybe an electrical problem? What are the odds a new capacitor gets fried after 2 months?

Fortunately I had ordered 2 capacitors the last time, so put the 2nd one in But the pump was still humming.

Now if I turn the shaft with a screwdriver from the motor back end and switch the pump on, after 1-2 seconds, it starts. Doesn't have to be just at the same time.
If I stop, wait 1-2 seconds and restart, it restarts.
But if I wait more than 5 seconds it doesn't restart. I have to turn the shaft again, re-switch on and it restarts.
When I turn the shaft, it's smooth but I'd have thought it'd be easier. But I'm obviously not a mechanic.

For now I've left it running on "low", until I find a solution.

Is the motor shot? Is it worth opening it? I've read it was tricky to reassemble.
What would you do?

Thanks and happy swimming!

Last edited:
Did you get an exact match for the original capacitor? Could also be the replacement capacitors are low quality. Where did you buy them?

Did the bad capacitors have any bulging or a domed top?

Hi zea3 , I got an exact match in terms of specs (108-130 uf and 110/125VAC). I didn't notice any damage to the failed original one.
Actually not sure the 2nd one from June failed at all, it seems to be the pump itself.

The 1st replacement is a BOJACK bought on Amazon, from a reseller. It's not damaged.
The 2nd replacement is a TEMCO , also from Amazon, also a reseller.

Note that when I turn the shaft I wait at least 1s before flipping the switch, so it's not in movement when I switch on. Something seems to start sticking after a few seconds to make it not start.

Check and clean the copper contacts.

Use some fine sandpaper or an Emory board cut down lengthwise or some contact cleaner.

Don't bend the copper too much, just enough to get the sandpaper in the gap.

1630103897921.png

If you mean the on/off switch on the pump itself, yes.
It has 3 positions for High, Low and Off and it works well. I can hear either the humming or the pump starting immediately when I use it in either Low or High position.
Thanks for asking.
JamesW showed the cutout switch i was referring to. It briefly activates the start winding for your motor .

When the motor speed reaches three-quarters of the normal speed after the speed, the centrifugal switch is forced to open, the starting winding is withdrawn, the winding is running, and the motor is started. Centrifugal switch is used during the starting of a motor.

If you have a basic multimeter like this 7 Function Digital Multimeter

You can test the capacitors and see if they are good or not.

If the last capacitor is still good then you can check other things on the pump. When you turn the shaft by hand does it sound like anything is rubbing together?
Wow thanks I"ll try that.

When I turn the shaft it seems smooth...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.