Pump motor shutoff yesterday

LoneWolfArcher

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2019
Michigan
Yesterday I was running my pump in the heat of the day to pump water on the slide, went in the house for a few minutes, came back out and motor had kicked off due to over heating. Sun was backing right on it but had an electrician friend check the draw and the amperage was over 8 amps. Supposed to be at 7.5 amps. He thinks the bearings are in need of replacement.

Considering just buying a new motor. It is is Hayward Super Pump. UST1102 1 HP motor. Found a replacement for $134. But should I go ahead and get a new shaft seal too? What about other seals?

I'll go ahead and rebuild the current model to use as a backup.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I'm thinking that the replacement motor might be too small for the pump.

Does the motor run ok other than overheating?

Yes, and it only did it while running in direct sunlight in the heat of an 89 degree day. Has been running flawlessly overnight (I run it from about midnight to 6am).

Motor sounds fine. And it performs great, excellent suction at the skimmer and good pressure from both returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.