Pump motor failing, need advice.

Hi! My pump motor is making a low pitched whine (started yesterday, though much quieter). I can hear it inside the house where I couldn't before. Checked pressure and all is nominal.

Based on reading here, it seems I can replace the motor with another without replacing the pump; also without having to re-do plumbing. What's unclear is if there is a variable speed motor replacement.

I've included a photo of the motor and pump and overview of both.

What are recommendations going forward? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210219_173752264.jpg

In talks with Inyo pools (they seem to have a good reputation here), apparently the pump housing is intended as a variable speed, and the pump is a single speed.
As a direct replacement for the single speed, they recommended another Centurion 1HP motor, model B848 ($212) .
As a variable speed replacement they recommended a V-Green 2.7HP motor, model ECM27SQU ($699).

Does having a variable speed motor make such a significant difference in electrical bill?

A VS motor running on low rpms can reduce your electrical bill by 80-90%.

Variable_Speed_Pump_Electrical_Costs.jpg

Reactions: undrwater
That is odd. It looks like someone replaced the original VS motor with what you have now. Maybe it broke down and they didn't want to spring for it. You could, and end up with a "like-new" Pentair IntelliFlo pump, one of the most respected pumps out there...

That is odd. It looks like someone replaced the original VS motor with what you have now. Maybe it broke down and they didn't want to spring for it. You could, and end up with a "like-new" Pentair IntelliFlo pump, one of the most respected pumps out there...

The Pentair motor costs about $500 and the drive about $650. For that price you can buy a brand new pump .That is why the motor and drive was replaced with a SS motor if they both failed.

In talks with Inyo pools (they seem to have a good reputation here), apparently the pump housing is intended as a variable speed, and the pump is a single speed.
Did you tell them you are located in California? You cannot buy a single speed motor for a pool pump over 1 THP in California.

Did you tell them you are located in California? You cannot buy a single speed motor for a pool pump over 1 THP in California.
It was via the online chat, and I was instructed to input my zip code. I'm guessing that if I went to check out, though, it would block me. I'll take a closer look. I'm aware of the (upcoming?) laws, but I'm sure the CFO would like the option.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the V-Green 2.7HP motor, model ECM27SQU ($699)?

It looks like someone replaced the original VS motor with what you have now.
This was done by the "pool guy" before I took over with the help of TFP. I suspect that the motor is from my original pump which failed (I think the housing was leaking). They probably were able to find the housing second hand somewhere.

Reactions: Dirk
This was done by the "pool guy" before I took over with the help of TFP. I suspect that the motor is from my original pump which failed (I think the housing was leaking). They probably were able to find the housing second hand somewhere.
Frankenmotor!

Unknown.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the 1.65 version, very happy with it so far. Installation was a snap and I like the digital inputs on mine a LOT. Made automation a snap! Not sure if yours has the same digital inputs or if you need an adapter.

Chris

The only "automation" I have right now is the intermatic timer. Reading through your install post, I think I'd be interested in increased speed with heater usage. I don't have it yet, approval is pending from the CFO.

Did you end up getting a bigger impeller? I have one in the Inyo cart currently.

I have the 1.65 version, very happy with it so far. Installation was a snap and I like the digital inputs on mine a LOT. Made automation a snap! Not sure if yours has the same digital inputs or if you need an adapter.

Chris

The Intelliflo is a 3.95 THP pump. Unless the impeller was changed in the wet end, you have been severely over working the 1.65THP motor. And you need to change the Impeller (and possibly other items) to make the Intelliflo wet end work with any non Intelliflo motor.

The only "automation" I have right now is the intermatic timer. Reading through your install post, I think I'd be interested in increased speed with heater usage. I don't have it yet, approval is pending from the CFO.

Did you end up getting a bigger impeller? I have one in the Inyo cart currently.
In my case the original pump impeller was sized for a 1.5 THP and I was able to go up one size on the impeller. The original impeller would have worked fine but going up a size gave me ability use the max hp when I need it (rare) and run much lower speed when there were no requirements for high flow (almost all the time). Even when I need more head for the solar or velocity for the gas heater I run well below max speed and have power savings. This has definitely shown up on the power bill.

If your pump had a motor originally that was 3.65 THP and you replace it with a 2.7 THP you may need a smaller impeller not a larger one. Inyopools will be able to help with this. I'm not sure how your existing 1 HP pump has been working without severely overheating unless the impeller was resized when your pump was replaced.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Please see the OP for the motor I have. I don't think it's 3.65 THP.

The original motor that mates with the front end you were given was 3.65. We don’t know if the impeller was changed to match the 1.65 motor that was mated with it.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I was hoping that was what was being discussed; otherwise I was quite confused. I'm nearly ($80) certain the impeller wasn't changed. $80 being the cost of the new impeller.

Thans all for your help! Completely appreciated!

The original motor that mates with the front end you were given was 3.65. We don’t know if the impeller was changed to match the 1.65 motor that was mated with it.

Maybe if the pool guy used the original motor, he also swapped out the IntelliFlo's impeller for the original motor's impeller (if such a thing is possible)...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.