Pump may be bad - How should I treat my water? (Pump and water question)

DatacomGuy

Aug 19, 2019
Tampa, FL
I have Hayward equipment. When the system turns on, the main pump emits a very loud noise and does not run. Friend checked it and stated that the pump was frozen up and gone. I called home warranty company and filed a claim, but i've heard so many nightmares that i'm afraid of whats next. American is the warranty company.

Given my horrible novice explanation of the pump's state, would you agree that it might be gone? It's only 5 or so years old so its surprising to me that its gone.

It may be days or a week before its repaired. How should I treat my water to make sure i dont develop any issues with chemistry in the interim?

You can just pour liquid chlorine into the pool and mix it up well with pool brush. If you have a robot you can set it to run and help mix the water. Do it as you would when pump ran. Algae isn't controlled by your pump just by the chlorine in the water.

You might also look into using a submersible pump that can help provide a little circulation to help buy you some time. Remember that if you grab some laundry bleach for your chlorine, make sure it's plain/regular. Never use anything that says splashless or scented. I would also avoid the Clorox brand bleach specifically as they added fabric polymer products a year or two ago. Good luck with your repair.

Thanks all. I picked up some shock after talking with the local pool supplier. I'm going to run shock every other day until its repaired.

I do have a Hayward automatic pool cleaner, but doesn't that run off the pump? Which is dead..

Thanks all. I picked up some shock after talking with the local pool supplier. I'm going to run shock every other day until its repaired.

I do have a Hayward automatic pool cleaner, but doesn't that run off the pump? Which is dead..
Does it have a cord and its own power supply, then it's a robot totally separate from the filter pump or is it a suction side pressure cleaner and the the answer is no.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.