Pump making strange sound

jkayca

Jul 5, 2014
Ottawa Ontario
I'm hoping someone can help me with a strange sound coming from my pool pump. Rather than trying to describe the sound, I've got a short video New video by Jeremy Kalman

This happened when opening the pool and starting the pump for the first time this season. Water is moving. No leaks either. I did pull the pump off the basket to inspect the impeller but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

At first I though maybe the starter cap. but the thing is actually running.

It's a Hayward Super II series pump, about 10 years old.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice folks. I think the churning is due to the fact I just opened the pool and there is still air in the lines. Due to the racket the pump is making I haven't run it long enough to get it all clear.

Anyway, I will replace the motor and keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

So got my new pump and I got a seal kit with it. Unbeknownst to me, I didn't realize you're not supposed to touch the white ceramic part of the shaft seal. Well I touched, my 12 year old son touch it. Can I still use it? Can it be cleaned? Not entirely sure why touching it is a problem.

Thanks

Thanks! Wiped it clean with some paper towel then doused it with the alcohol. Let it air dry for about 20 minutes and then finished the install.

Pump is much quieter and moving water well. I do have a minor leak on the output. Something to deal with on the weekend. I also still seeing some turbulence in the basket area. I also tackle that on the weekend. I also noticed the white hard plastic gasket (?) on the front of the impeller diffuser was worn and asymmetrically at that. I'll probably need to replace that at some point to.

Keeping an eye on things for now. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.