Pump losing prime on filter -- following a comedy of errors

Jul 16, 2014
Westport, CT
Hi everyone. Happy start of pool season to those in the Northeast!

As I was closing the pool last season, I heard the pump starting to rattle and whine. Figured the pump was going... Before connecting it this season, I removed the impeller on my Hayward Super Pump and checked the bearings etc. They looked fine but sure enough, when I connected everything together, it starting shrieking... :-/

Here is a brief video of the sound :

Just thought I check in with the experts here to confirm that indeed it makes sense to replace the bearings and save myself from buying a whole new pump.

I just checked and saw that LesliesPool offers free labor in store for pump repair and that you just pay for the parts. We all know not to be fooled by their products in lieu of TFPC but wondered if any folks here ever had a good experience with their technical labor?

Sure sounds like bearings. Once they are repaired. you should work on an air leak you have on the suction side of your system. There should be no air or bubbles visible in the pump basket lid. There is an article in pool school that may help you find it.

Thank you. Just called two Leslies locations and it turns out per company policy, they are not allowed to touch the inside of the motors. They can only replace/repair external elements, like seals, gaskets, etc.
Sounds like this can be DIY, but can be a real pain if I don't have the proper tools (hint: I don't).

Been reading other posts, and there have been suggestions to replace just the motor and not the entire pump.
Since I have a lot of custom plumbing etc, on the wet side of the pump, does anyone have any suggestions on a direct replacement that would fit the existing frame if I were to consider a variable speed motor?

I currently have a Hayward SuperPump 2.0 HP, SP1615Z1MEG.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sigh... ordered an installed the new pump (well I kept the wet side and changed out the motor).
Same issue with the suction side leak (good call duraleigh), as there doesn't seem to be any pressure on the line. I don't see or hear any leaks anywhere though... Any tips on how to best troubleshoot or should I just call a pro?... sigh. Wifey is getting annoyed it's taking so long...

(yes i've read the pool school article... Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool and haven't found anything obvious yet,... unfortunately)

Last edited:
Thank you mknauss, i've read many of your troubleshooting threads on this. Photos attached.

Attachments

• CF17422A-54C2-4352-8425-FD89B21015DB.jpeg
    CF17422A-54C2-4352-8425-FD89B21015DB.jpeg
    655.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 6D77E508-98EF-45E7-B0E8-7971F316D5EF.jpeg
    6D77E508-98EF-45E7-B0E8-7971F316D5EF.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 11
  • 106673CC-6EB9-4584-910B-98F88ECC892F.jpeg
    106673CC-6EB9-4584-910B-98F88ECC892F.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 11
  • E4B1E398-8DC3-4FB8-986A-14064C9FDFD4.jpeg
    E4B1E398-8DC3-4FB8-986A-14064C9FDFD4.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 10
All three valves on the suction side are some kind of union valve it appears. First, try wrapping them one at a time with plastic wrap. If nothing, determine if you can pull them apart and lube the oring that should be in them. Also the union going into the pump.

Eventually, you will want to get rid of those valves and use NeverLube type.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quite a bit of air. It is coming from somewhere. It was like this before you did the motor work?

Yes, this leak is probably what broke the last motor. It died as I was closing the pool at the end of the season. I hope it's nothing underground...

At this time, I checked:
-the lid gasket. I have used pool lube and even placed a piece of plastic over the top before screwing down and no difference.
-drain plugs on pump. I have tightened them to the point where I just broke one off using a socket wrench.
-3 union rings coming from pool. The one in the middle with the crack comes from the bottom of the pool (which is likely clogged with algae from the winter) but I have covered this with pool wrap
-union that goes from top of pump to my multiport valve (set on recirculate). This one I have lubed heavily. The one weak point might be where this meets the top of the pool pump (not where it connects to plumbing to multiport, where I tested it with water in the video above). I tried removing this yesterday but it is glued in, and is a difficult size to find locally and recreate, so I had just left it. This might be my last option.

Also, I had reused the wet side of the pump. When attaching the pump, I did notice some water leak out, but I ratcheted down with a socket wrench and no more water.

You used a Go kit for all new seals etc I assume.

Have you plastic wrapped the other valves? You can do the same at the union at the pump. Suction side.

Has to be above water level or you would see water loss.

Check all the slip joint connections too.

Kept trying and could not find it. Stopped by the pool store and plumbing supply and it seems like I also cannot easily replace the plumbing that comes up out of the pump (so that I could use the new wet side of pump that I did not use since I leveraged the old to avoid replacing plumbing...).
Turns out I have a special 2.5" schedule 80 union that is nobody carries.... looks like this will be a major re-plumbing of the system then....

Thanks anyway mknauss. If you're right and its above water level, that is a relief as the last thing I need right now is to have someone dig up the lines...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.