May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a leak from my pump. Sad face.

What do I do - turn off the valves for the skimmer and sump and set the multiport on the filter to closed.

Then drain the two drain valves on the pump.

Slacken the metal band and extract the motor but Do I need to undo the plumbing otherwise?

it’s wet on the metal band so I wonder if that gasket is leaking - what’s the best approach to diagnosis the leak cause?

Attachments

• DA1643D9-C71A-4411-99CE-5ECC606CB2AD.jpeg
    DA1643D9-C71A-4411-99CE-5ECC606CB2AD.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Is it ok to take the pump apart in situ or should I not do this?
So I went ahead and took the motor off, leaving the wet end in situ.

I didn’t really know how much water was going to drain out so I used the wet vac to take the water out of the pump basket.

it seems that the last time the pump was serviced the seal between the wet end and the dry end inside the metal clamp has been bodged with white silicone sealant so I cleaned it up and put a good helping of silicone lube on. I will get a seals kit and take it apart a bit more next time.

i know pretty straight forward stuff for most of you but having never done so before wasn’t too Sure what to expect!

Hats-off for separating the motor from the wet end to investigate. :salut: It is somewhat common for a shaft seal to fail resulting in water leakage from the wet end into the motor area. I had a hard time seeing the leaking area in the first pic, but it's good you seemed to have find it. When you research a new shaft seal, you might inquire about a complete seal kit, sometimes referred to as a "go-kit".

Reactions: UKjames
Thanks Pat. It’s really hard to tell where the leak is. there was some white corrosion on the nuts that hold the implellar housing but then it didn’t seem wet and there is similar corrosion all over the motor housing.

The metal band was wet so hoping that the problem was simply the clamp o ring. It seems to have stretched a bit too.

there seem to be seal kits and seal kits!
I don’t use the drain plugs as can use a wet vac. So figured maybe I’ll only need the diffuser, clamp and motor shaft seals. Not sure on the likelihood of needing the square gasket too. I think you’re saying best to do all of them.

i noticed silicone lube doesn’t seem to go very far either given how big the rubber o rings are!

Presumably you see the leak before it kills your pump…

I had a small leak that I think but am not certain is from the clamp o-ring. So i put a good layer of silicone grease on to see if the leak stops. If it does I’m just wondering if I don’t see any more evidence of leaking then I should be ok without opening up the unit and disturbing the shaft seal.. I realise no one can answer definitively but- in general.

A leak at the shaft seal can present itself typically in two ways .... water seeping-out from the motor casing or signs of corrosion. I believe in your other thread we discussed the seal package options (Go-Kit), so if you do continue to see water leaking that will probably be the next logical step.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soo.. I replaced the clamp o ring and the diffuser o ring. Now although the o ring looks like it fits better, the pump leaks something chronic- not masses of water coming out other than drips however you can feel the air rushing in around the clamp and the filter glass bubbles never purge. Any tips for what I might be doing wrong?

one thing I don’t get is how compressing the pump and strainer basket with the clamp has the effect of drawing the two together or does it not and I need to somehow load the two together and then do up the clamp?

I’m wondering if I’ve cracked the housing now. So need to take the wet end off to get a proper look at it.

When reconnecting the plumbing do you put ptfe tape on the threads of the threads being inserted in to the pump unions?

When reconnecting the plumbing do you put ptfe tape on the threads of the threads being inserted in to the pump unions?
Often times you can. Many unions have an O-ring inside, so theoretically you shouldn't have to, but it's common to give the threads 2-3 good wraps of tape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.