pump leak

Jul 28, 2017
BURLINGTON, KY
Moved from here.
I have a similar although much smaller leak in on mine - this is a house I just bought so I have extremely limited knowledge of this type of pump or how old this one is, I am not new to pool ownership though. How did you determine where the leak was coming from / caused by? Mine started with a slow leak, more of a consistent drip when the pump was running full speed. The local pool shop told me to replace the large gasket and I did, coating it with super-lube pretty generously but now the leak is actually worse and a mini version of the gyser you had.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they needed a new tank body.. depending on price it may be cheaper to get a new pump.. Do you have any automation that needs a certain pump? If not here is a basic VS 3hp pump for 500, I just bought one but have not installed it yet :)

So going back to that started all of this (slow drip), it would be easy to assume it was the shaft seal. Your pump/motor appears to be about 5 years old, so there may still plenty of life on it if you can get the water leak resolved. If you are up to the task, you could simply replace the shaft seal and the other O-rings in the pump at the same time. Often times you can get a "Go-Kit" that will have everything together.

@JamesW would you have any other thoughts?

1629825702191.png
1629825614171.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your eyes are clearly better than mine, it was cracked pretty badly. This appears to be a fairly common problem with this, pretty sad there's only a one year warranty on such an expensive pump. When it comes time to replace the whole thing I'll be looking at different brands! Thanks as always to all you super-helpful people on this site!

Reactions: JamesW
It seems to be a weak spot for the pump.

The pressure gets high and the section actually flexes quite a bit.

Continuous flexing and high pressure eventually causes the crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.