Pump issue - New Purchase size and type help.

Hugman

Jul 28, 2018
tuttle, ok
Help with troubleshoot current pump issue.
Help determining what pump size or type to go with for replacement.

I have spent hours looking through other threads and attempted to figure this out on my own, but no luck on current pump or conclusion on new pump.

Current pump is a 2HP Dual Speed Hayward, 2years old, during the recent extreme 6 days of cold weather my pump blew the breaker. Pump and pipes never froze, I caught it prior to having this issue. Quickly drained things down and did a partial winterizing the best I could given pool was frozen about 3" thick (skimmers were still flowing and not frozen). Pump runs on low, if switched to high it will run maybe 5 seconds and then cuts off by the thermal switch. Replaced capacitor and it did not fix the problem. I purchased a meter, old and new capacitor tested fine. I attempted to test the windings but honestly not real sure if I was doing it correctly. Motor shaft, impeller etc all turn just fine, absolutely no problem there. Thermal switch, tested but again not sure I did it properly so gave up there.

Any suggestions on diagnosing this?

I suppose I could call a pool company but would prefer not to, seems a trusted one is hard to find.

I'm to the point of possibly just getting a new pump or motor. I have always questioned the current pump size. Seemed the low speed did absolutely nothing therefore I did not use it. Generally would run on high speed about 10-12 hours p/day during the summer.

26,000 Gallon Pool (complete DIY Pool Build) 16x40 w/ 8' deep end.
All 2" plumbing, dedicated lines for each skimmer(2), returns, and main drains.
SWG Hayward Aqua Rite 40k Gallon Salt System
30" Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter
No automation, simple timer for pump and SWG
Suction side option for cleaner, but use a robot.

Considered going with a variable motor replacement and keeping the current housing. Or just getting another single speed pump, again current low speed didn't seem to really move enough water to do anything or make the SWG work.

Any recommendations on pump size needed?
Variable vs Single Speed?
If I go variable, will I need to do something with my SWG. Seems some say I would need it to still be on a timer.

Thanks fellow pool peeps, I have really tried to figure this out on my own but felt it was time to post!

I have a great solution :)

Get a V green VS motor and be happy all the way to the bank saving money... I did mine last year and it works great... Runs my SWG at 1100 rpm all day long... What I am not sure about is should you get the 1.65 or the 2.7... Could you post a picture of the name plate...

Maybe we can get @JamesW to look at your name plate once you post it :)

I have a great solution :)

Get a V green VS motor and be happy all the way to the bank saving money... I did mine last year and it works great... Runs my SWG at 1100 rpm all day long... What I am not sure about is should you get the 1.65 or the 2.7... Could you post a picture of the name plate...

Maybe we can get @JamesW to look at your name plate once you post it :)

I don't have a picture with me right now but the the model is SP2615X202S.

I was looking at the V green VS, just wasn't sure if that was the way to go! Sounds like I'm on the right track.
Thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.