Pump inlet plugging

Andrew_D

May 8, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I've attached 2 pics of the inlet cover of my pump (CP2000) that came with my pool. It is rated at 120V, 3A, 350W which should equate to 0.3 - 0.5 HP, depending on efficiency.

You can see how leaves have clogged the inlet screen. These are leaves that are making it through the skimmer basket and getting caught on this small inlet screen. The pump takes a 1.5" hose, so subtracting the wall thickness, I'd guess this little screen is approx 1.25" diameter? Some of these leaves are also being pulled through the pump and caught in another plastic mesh on the outlet of the pump, but I didn't get a good pic of it. (You can kind of see some leaves in the 2nd circle I put on the pic, where the outlet is.)

Now, while I understand that the point of this screen is to protect the pump impeller, I didn't know (more likely that I didn't remember!) that this screen was there and have spent a few days trying to diagnose low flow from the returns and low suction at the skimmer. Now I know why!

This low flow has been starving the pump for some time now. And that isn't good for a pump!

Here's my question: Given that there is a basket in the skimmer, and that some debris apparently is making it through the pump anyway (it's caught on the outlet screen), could I cut these screens out?

Andrew

Attachments

Andrew_D

May 8, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Update:

So I ended up using a skimmer sock to catch the majority of the debris. I would wager that it caught 98% of it. Still found the odd piece of grass or leaf caught in that intake screen. So one time that I was doing some work on plumbing, I took the pump housing off and cut those screens out. A pair of sidecutters worked to take out the majority and then a small dremel-style tool to clean up the edges. Haven't had a issue since.

Andrew