Pump Humming - won't pump

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Hello all,

Starting this year (second summer with the new pool and new equipment), when turning the pump off (in order to switch to backwash, pump to waste, etc), the pump will not immediately come back on. When I flip the switch, it makes a humming noise. It is not until after I hear a noticeable "CLICK" from the pump that I am able to turn it back on and it will run.

This began in the spring, and it would only take a few minutes.

It seems like as the summer has gone on, it takes longer and longer. Most recently, two hours ago, I shut the pump off to do a backwash, and it will not come back on... just the humming noise.

I leave the pump running 24/7. It is a Doughboy Powerline XP I 2 hp pump. It is not dual speed like I once thought. It was stored in the garage over winter.

Any advice? Please don't say my motor is done for... it's barely a year old! :(

Thanks for your response. Turns out it doesn't matter what the problem is - I called the store that installed my pool and after following some trouble shooting steps, they told me to just bring it in and they will replace it under warranty. I have their loaner pump now - should have the new one in a few days! Hopefully the next one will last longer than a year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.