Pump help/power outage!

May 22, 2018
Pleasantville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My vinyl 15,000 gallon pool had been leaking, and then the power went out for 5 days. I couldn't refill the water since we are on a well system and no power, no well pump. So after watching the water fall by about 2 or 3 inches to barely above the skimmer, I remembered what I read here about leaks and to plug the skimmer with the green gizmo thing. So I plugged it, and the water level stopped dropping. And then the power came back on Sunday with that thing still blocking the skimmer. Now the pump has power and seems to be running but there is no suction and nothing on the returns except for bubbling at the return closest to the pump.

Did the power outage ruin the pump? (Hayward, only about 2 years old) Did blocking the skimmer ruin the pump? Help! I've been trying to get a repair guy to come but no one is really responding in the Westchester County, NY area. One guy today kindly returned my call but said he doesn't do vinyl pools. Now I have a leak and a broken pump :( Thanks for any advice.

So it sounds as if you forgot about the Gizmo being inserted when power returned right? Then the pump was starved for water and probably ran dry for a while, is that about right? Once you realized the Gizmo, did you get it out okay? No chance anything broke-off and got stuck in the skimmer suction line? Does the pump basket (clear lid) pull water and remain full of water? If not, what happens if you take a bucket and fill the pump basket, replace the lid, and start the pump? Does the water in the basket get sucked-out to the filter?

Let's not forget what started this .... a leak in what appears to be in that suction line right? Because the water stopped dropping once you plugged the skimmer with the Gizmo. So there could be a break in that suction line to the point you can't pull suction - like trying to suck from a broken straw ..... it doesn't work. If that's the case, I hope a potential break didn't get worse when the suction line was blocked with the Gizmo. Do you have a main drain? If so, switch suction to the drain to see if that works any better.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't forget about the gizmo. We were a half hour drive away trying to borrow a generator when we were alerted the power returned. Removing it was the first thing I did when I got out of the car. Nothing broke off the gizmo. When I saw there was no suction I checked the basket and there was water in it. (And yes, I should have remembered to unplug the pump so this didn't happen but that wasn't at the top of my thoughts as I tried to keep 3 humans and 4 cats going for 5 days with no power or running water.)

The thing is that before I stopped up the skimmer it was suctioning and the returns were working. Is it possible the pump is broken? If I switch to main drain that takes the water out of the pool, but it's already at a pretty low level.

Thanks again.

Does the motor turn on at all or make any sounds? If so, did you try the test of filling up the pump basket, replacing the clear lid, and turning it on to see what happens?

Now would be an ideal time to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It would also help if you could post a pic or two of the pool and equipment pad so we can see all the valves and such.

I just re-read where you said the pump does have power and seems to be running. :hammer: But still try that bucket pour test in teh pump basket to see if the pump moves the water out. Maybe it just needs help to prime. You might have to do it 2-3 times

YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!!!! Priming worked! It's sucking away and you saved me the cost of a new pump. Thank you!

I still have to deal with the link. It's been hard to find a pool company here that does repairs in vinyl pools. But at least with running water I can get the level back up in the meantime.

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.