pump gods.. my Pentair intelliflo vs3050 trips breaker

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hello pump gods.
I have a Pentair intelliflo VS-3050. It is tripping the breaker instantly. I can spin the impeller with my finger. it doesnt seem to be stuck on anything. once I push the pump on, the breaker trips instantly. It was working a few days ago. and we didnt have any rain that got it wet. Just stopped working today. its is control by a Easytouch panel. the pump pretty much trips out the entire easy touch panel. If I turn off the pump specific breaker the panel works fine. Please advise on what I can do to repair it. Thank you.

Last edited:

What else does the pump's circuit breaker power?

With the pump's breaker off, put the panel in the Service Mode, and then turn on the breaker, and tell us if it still pops.

Thanks,

Jim R.

vs3050 is on the same circuit as the intellichlor. i tried disconnecting the wire for the intellichlor also and it did nothing to help the VS3050 to run. Everything else will work normally with the pump breaker off. It will run the water feature aux pump. once I turn on thevs3050 pump breaker and turn on the vs3050 touch switch. it will run the pump for 2 sec or so and trip the entire easytouch panel from the house main power panel breaker.

Is there capacitors? do I need a new pump or motor unit?
I use a easytouch panel. so pump speed and schedule is control by that.
if I need an entire pump. do I need a new VS3050 or can I get by an lesser intelliflo variable pump?

Thanks .

Sounds to me like your pump is most likely bad.. Maybe just the motor, or control head, but in my mind, once the pump is 10 years old, it would make the most sense to me to replace the entire pump.

I would use any IntelliFlo pump that does not have the SVRS option (most do not..)

Before replacing the pump, I would turn off the power and disconnect the wiring right at the pump.. Then turn the power back on and confirm that the breaker no longer pops.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Oly
No unions at the inlet outlet. I guess my pool builder skimmed that part. I will get it with the new pump. BTW what is the different between the intelliflo VS against the Superflo VS. Price is big difference. some $1199 vs $699 for superflo VS. I will probably try to order the pump today.

I'm no pro and do not have the same pumps as you....but...does that pump have a run capacitor? When my run caps fail, the pump breakers will trip. I have a spa pump that uses the same run cap so it is a 5 minute job to pull the spa run cap and put that into the pool pump. Happened yesterday, no flow, pump breakers tripped.....run cap bad.

I'm no pro and do not have the same pumps as you....but...does that pump have a run capacitor? When my run caps fail, the pump breakers will trip. I have a spa pump that uses the same run cap so it is a 5 minute job to pull the spa run cap and put that into the pool pump. Happened yesterday, no flow, pump breakers tripped.....run cap bad.

from all the parts list and video I see. There isnt a capacitor for these pump.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.