Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This may be a futile exercise, but I am attempting to get to the bottom of why many PBs and techs have such a poor opinion about Hayward pumps. While, I could go through all of the old posts to collect data, I am hoping to get enough responses to this post in order to draw at least some conclusions. So if you have ever had a pump failure of any kind and from any manufacture (not just Hayward), please answer the following questions:

1) Pump make and model.
2) Approximate age of pump at failure
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)
4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
5) Sheltered or exposed installation

For those "In The Industry" and have collected actual data, please note any and all pumps that you have come across in your line of work but please stick to the facts above. Anecdotal evidence is interesting but it is very difficult to quantify in any meaningful way.

Thanks in advance to all who participate.

Hi, I'll answer within your post.

mas985 said:
This may be a futile exercise, but I am attempting to get to the bottom of why many PBs and techs have such a poor opinion about Hayward pumps. While, I could go through all of the old posts to collect data, I am hoping to get enough responses to this post in order to draw at least some conclusions. So if you have ever had a pump failure of any kind and from any manufacture (not just Hayward), please answer the following questions:

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp single speed
2) Approximate age of pump at failure5 years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)bottom of casing rusted through to motor
4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5") 1.5"
5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed installation on plastic pump/filter base

For those "In The Industry" and have collected actual data, please note any and all pumps that you have come across in your line of work but please stick to the facts above. Anecdotal evidence is interesting but it is very difficult to quantify in any meaningful way.

1) Pump make and model.

Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp

Unknown - pool was built in 1987. We bought the house in 2007. Pump motor failed 4/2011

Motor failed - replaced - pump still going strong

1.5"

Partially sheltered from sunlight by large bush, but no structure over pump, so it's exposed to the elements

mas985 said:

1) Pump make and model. 1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed (has speed switch built in)
2) Approximate age of pump at failure 6 months
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Very noisy on low speed (sounds like a diesel engine idling) and leaking between pump and motor at high speed
5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed

Note that I am in the process of having it replaced under warranty

mas985 said:

1) Pump make and model.
2 different Hayward SuperPumps
unknown on first, about 7 years on the second
1st - pump just quit running. 2nd - outside case of motor rusted out, bearings failed
1.5 inches
exposed.

Currently using a Pentair SuperFlo High effeincy 1.5 HP single speed. I have a 28 year old (very low hours) PowerFlo II that I salvaged from a bathtub /spa (currently without a strainer assembly) that I used for 2 weeks last summer between when the SuperPump failed and I got the SuperFlo installed.

mas985 said:
1) Pump make and model.Sta-Rite 1HP
2) Approximate age of pump at failure26
3) Reason for pump failure.Noisy motor bearings and rusted motor housing(could see the windings!)
4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")2"
5) Sheltered or exposed installationSheltered in pumphouse
The wet end is still going strong, I replaced the motor with a 2-speed to help save on the electric bill. Sorry, I can't read the model number, the plate on the pump housing is corroded too badly.

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo, 1½hp
2) Approximate age of pump at failure. 1 month
3) Reason for pump failure (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc). Bad Capacitor
4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5"). 1½" Rigid
5) Sheltered or exposed installation. Exposed

This was a case of infant mortality. The entire pump was replaced under warranty. Two years later, no issues.

1 - Hayward Super 2, 1 hp (1.5 thp)
2 - 6 years
3 - wet end housing cracked, slow leak that ruined the motor
4 - 2" rigid
5 - exposed

I wouldn't call this a premature failure, and I think it was due to a sloppy installation. I think too much T-tape was used and it was screwed in too tight, which cracked the plastic.

1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super 2.
2) Approximate age of pump at failure 7 years
3) Reason for pump failure. Extended immersion (3 days) due to Hurricane Floyd flooding/power failure.
4) Plumbing size 1.5 inches
5) Sheltered installation

Probably not helpful but wanted to show my support. Replacement motor had 5 years when retired.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone's support! Any and all data is welcomed so keep it coming. With 27000 members, hopefully there are many more that have replaced their pump at one point.

Sta-Rite Duraglass II
4 years
After multiple bearings and seals were replaced (first by me, then by a motor shop)the pump was still excessively loud.
Outdoors for two years, indoors for two.

mas985 said:
1) Pump make and model.
Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP 2 speed
6 years
Motor got very loud on low speed
2"
Exposed to elements, mostly shaded though

1) Pump make and model. Superpump 1.5 hp
2) Approximate age of pump at failure 6 years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) impeller broke, melted to motor shaft
5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed

mas985 said:
please answer the following questions:
The pump currently on my system (just failed)
1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed Pump 1.5HP SP2610X152S
2) Approximate age of pump at failure. 2 Years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Loud Noise, worse on low speed. Had to turn off before neighbors complain
5) Sheltered or exposed installation Exposed

The pump that was in use before the one above.
1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump 1HP
2) Approximate age of pump at failure 2.5 years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Motor Bearings
Hope this helps, I'm very interested in the results myself as the 1st pump just failed last night and I need to find a replacement.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. I will be bumping this up every now and then to hopefully get some more responses.

1) Pump make and model.
Hayward Superpump 1.0 HP
4-1/2 years
Motor loud (bearings) last summer, wet end stuck now
1.5"
Exposed to elements, mostly shaded

Replacing with a Whisperflow Full Rated 1.5HP 2 speed.

mas985 said:

1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump II
2) Approximate age of pump at failure 2 years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Leak at back of pump into motor and caused corrosion

That was my second pump to go. The first was the same model and went legs up after a lightning strike. Can't really count that one.

zea3 said:
Hi, I'll answer within your post.

mas985 said:

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp single speed
2) Approximate age of pump at failure5 years
3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)bottom of casing rusted through to motor
5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed installation on plastic pump/filter base

Just wanted to add that the replacement pump, another Dynamo, this time a 2 speed .75/1.0 HP is showing signs of rust in the same area after 2 years in the elements. It is starting at the mounting bracket, just like last time. I elevated the pump 1/2" off the platform with rubber washers but it doesn't appear to have helped. This one is also noisy so I have a replacement motor I will install soon. Thinking about coating the mounting brackets with that spray on rubber stuff before I install it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.